• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need advice

Hi - I noticed that you said you were back to work in a week. How long before you were able to drive?

I believe that my surgeon typically performs surgeries on Wednesday and I am hoping that I can return to work the following Monday. I have a desk job so I hoping I can get back to work pretty quickly.

I, too, am limiting who I tell. I work in an office of 50 plus women who can be "haters", so I would rather wait and tell after the fact instead of before hand.

I had surgery Wednesday the 11th and I was driving on Friday and im going back to work on Monday the 16th.

I haven't told too many people either. I have had some that for some reason think I had my gallbladder removed. I didn't correct them, but once I get back and I have more weight loss, if they ask, I'll tell. That is something that makes this site great, you can talk about it and know that we are all supportive.

I am 3 weeks out from my sleeve and I have been very selective about whom I have told, for many of the reasons mentioned here. It is a really private journey for me. This life long battle has often been way too public. So for now I am staying quiet about it. But as things progress, who knows how it will go. Don't feel bad if you need to keep things close to your heart right now. It will all be okay. I believe that. :eek:
Hi, everyone! I am meeting with the surgeon on the 18th -- cannot wait. Will be setting my surgery date.

I need some advice. I do not want to share with anyone that I am having surgery. What do I tell people at work? What do I tell my extended family? Nobody except my husband and daughter are supportive of my surgery. I need to be able to have a "cover story." Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can say for being off of work for a month, and then all of the weight loss?

I know that I should be honest with everyone, but I just cannot deal with anymore judgements...

Thank you.

Hi nortonpug I understand all the reasons for keeping the surgery private. But I do want to warn you against lying. Eventually the truth will come out and the lie will back a much more powerful punch with greater consequences than the surgery ever could. If asked I would just say I was taking the time off for personal reasons, to have some much needed "me time" and leave it at that.

I'm in that same boat. I did end up having to tell my closest co-worker just because she kept asking why I was having soo many appointments. If it wasn't for that she wouldn't even have known. My husband knows and has been onboard with me through the process of going and seeing my primary doctor till now with my appointment on the 6th to meet with the surgeon. He makes sure his supervisor is aware of my appointment dates and that he'll be present when I go to each one. And this is just because he is military but as for everyone else I don't need any negative remarks and the people I work with are like that. As for the weight loss, just tell them you made some changes with your diet and been exercising more.

You don't need to give them details just tell them you had surgery and that's it. Now for your family...you should tell your immediate family so you have that additional support. I told my parents and brother that I decided to go down this path. My dad is not okay with any unnecessary surgeries but just because of the risk of something going wrong. But he is being supportive with this situation as best as he can. And they know the weight has changed me overall in a negative way.

Good luck and don't let anyone pull you down! :)

Back