• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need help getting back on track

Jcarey

Hi everyone, New to this site. I had GB in april of 2018. I lost 93 pounds. The last year I had lots of family trauma and have put some weight back on, 10 pounds. I stopped taking my vitamins. I just ordered them, and I know I need to get back on them. I still have a premier protein shake every day. I stopped my walking.
I need help getting back on track as far as food/ calories and exercise. Anyone out there to help?
thanks Jen

Absolutely. We are a group that has a varied membership. So we have everyone from newbies to old pros, and everyone in between. There are a few of us that are more than a year out that have had or are having new issues and learning how to deal with trauma and working to get back on track. I think you'll find this is a great support group.
Also, I've gained 5 just in the past month due to family issues, so I'm super impressed that you've only gained 10 in 3 years! So, welcome to the group, Jen.

Welcome! I've gained COVID-10, which pisses me off after 14 years, but I immediately made changes so I can lose it.

I'd freak out if I, couldn't fit into my post-op clothes, since I got rid of anything bigger than a size 9.

I understand trauma, but if it's a trigger, you might associate food with bad memories, and you DON'T deserve that! You're driving this bus. Don't run off the road, and enjoy your destination, as well as the scenery.

Do you have your post-op diet given to you by the doctor? If not, I believe mine is posted here in the Resource section. If it isn't, search the posts for "post-op diet" and go back a few years.

I know I have a copy in my files, but if I find it and post it, run it by your own doc first. You should aim for 50 to 70 grams of protein, plan your day's menu in advance, and follow it precisely.

Avoid sugar and starch but allow healthy fats. Don't count calories. Get 20 minutes of movement daily, whether walking or vacuuming. Make sure you work up a sweat, but don't over-exert.

Use affirmations and hug yourself while saying "I love you".

Your brain may be out of control with compulsions, but there's a wee part of it that's screaming "Help me" to be heard.

Give up control until the healthy you is in control.

Do you have your post-op diet given to you by the doctor? If not, I believe mine is posted here in the Resource section. If it isn't, search the posts for "post-op diet" and go back a few years.

I know I have a copy in my files, but if I find it and post it, run it by your own doc first. You should aim for 50 to 70 grams of protein, plan your day's menu in advance, and follow it precisely.

Avoid sugar and starch but allow healthy fats. Don't count calories. Get 20 minutes of movement daily, whether walking or vacuuming. Make sure you work up a sweat, but don't over-exert.

Use affirmations and hug yourself while saying "I love you".

Your brain may be out of control with compulsions, but there's a wee part of it that's screaming "Help me" to be heard.

Give up control until the healthy you is in control.
Oh thank you!!! I can also reach out to my surgeon and have them send me the post op schedule. I love it here!!!

You could certainly go back to 1200 calories and it would surely do the trick, But it might be a better idea to track what you're actually eating right now for a week and make the needed adjustments from there. If you're eating 1800 a day, you can go down to 1600 or 1500 and still lose weight, without feeling deprived. Just a thought.

Back