• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need some advice.

Hi
I am have 1 more dietitian appointment before my surgery request will be sent in to the insurance company.
I am an extremely VERY picky eater. Don't know how I am going to handle the 2 weeks post op liquid diet, really worried. All I keep hearing is people say "it will be worth it", "you will get through it", "you just go to do it". They think those comments are helpful but, they are not. I try to keep in mind they have not been through this situation. I need advice from someone who is a picky eater and how they handled the liquid diet.

Not that I am coming from a place of being a picky eater - but can you please expand more on how you are a picky eater?

Hi
I am have 1 more dietitian appointment before my surgery request will be sent in to the insurance company.
I am an extremely VERY picky eater. Don't know how I am going to handle the 2 weeks post op liquid diet, really worried. All I keep hearing is people say "it will be worth it", "you will get through it", "you just go to do it". They think those comments are helpful but, they are not. I try to keep in mind they have not been through this situation. I need advice from someone who is a picky eater and how they handled the liquid diet.
It seems like you will be picky at what you will drink as well? I suggest you buy a little bit and in variety to see what drunks suit your palate. I didn't like the broths. Never care much for shakes but it what gets the protein in. I hope you're picky enough to pick out the very best solution. Because it will definitely help. It's probably gonna put a dent in your wallet but hey, we gotta do this right?

Hi
I bought all differemt protein drinks from walmart. I say variety. At first I was going through withdrawls then it went away after few days. Its not easy. But I got used to it. I did my liquid pre op for 3 weeks because the dr wanted the robot arm assistant. so I already started liquid 2 days n said ok hell with it I will continue. Im weak and my heart has been pounding when I walk just a few feet and I wasnt like this before. Someome said maybe my blood pressure. possiblez they took me off of them after surgery. I mean my heart pounds in my ears. It is wierd!

Hi

Can you expand on what you can have on your liquid diet? So many docs are different in what they allow and what they don't allow. There are a ton of different protein drink options, I would suggest trying the different kinds and finding one you can tolerate. I was allowed to have soup and hated most protein shakes so for my liquid diet I did broth and soup, adding unflavored protein powder to the soups for added energy and to work my way up to the daily protein intake you've got to achieve after the surgery. There is now bone broth that can be used that comes with 20 grams of protein per 12 ounces and there are juice flavored protein powders if you like fruit juices as well. Good luck on finding what works for you, and hopefully you will find something that you can stick to for the duration.

Hi
I hope you found some things you like for your two week liquid diet before surgery and after, I don't consider myself a picky eater, but I still had to find the shake I liked the best and that ended up being premier shakes, chocolate and strawberry flavors are my favorite but they also have banana, vanilla and caramel shakes in that brand, they are all very creamy. And I buy the premade ones. I still drink them now and it has been a year since surgery. I can just pop them in my lunch bag with some string cheese and babybel light cheese, it makes a great lunch now that I am no longer on a liquid diet. good luck

Back