• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need to get back on track!

Hi. Welcome. I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. I think everyone is having issues during this pandemic. I had gained 10lbs during lockdown, myself. Fortunately, it was pre-surgery. Even my weight loss surgeon said he had to start jogging an extra few miles cuz he gained 5 lbs. I love him so much now that I ALMOST felt bad for him lol I had surgery in June so I am still in the early stages. But, what is working for me (so far) is meal planning and tracking. I plan each day and put it in my tracker the night before. With a plan, I know my nutrient goals are being met and any changes mess that up, so it makes it a little easier to talk myself into just having what I have planned. We have lots of recipes on the recipe forum and you can use the search tool to search by ingredient or whatever you are looking for.

Hi! I'm new here but not new to the surgery. I had my RNY in 2005. Since the beginning of lockdown, I am shameful to admit that I have gained 25 lbs! I need a jump start, menu ideas, and am also considering a keto diet. I am asking for any help available! Thanks
Hi there and welcome to the group. Would you mind telling us your first name and whether or not you are a boy or a girl? It really helps us get to know each other.

I was devastated to discover I had gained 10 lb since quarantine but I have now lost seven of the 10. I did it by going back to basics.

Revisit your original post-op eating plan and develop a diet you can follow based on it. Keep a journal with your food intake, every single crumb you put in your mouth, and make sure you get at least 50 grams of protein and 64 oz of water, not liquid, water.

It's important to stay hydrated and as much liquid as you can drink, that's great. But water is the magical substance that aids in digestion and causes weight loss.

I have been checking that out for the last few months because we have been debating the liquid versus water issue here. I am convinced scientifically that the 64 oz of water is absolutely essential to weight loss. I drink 2 L everyday. I made sure to punch it up and counted accurately and that is why I have managed to drop those 7 lb in the last 10 days or so.

Also, move. Move all the time. Do not sit or lay down. Stand up and walk in place, watch TV standing up and do weight training exercises using cans of soup and majorette knee lifts. If you feel like traditional body toning, great but you really want aerobic exercise in order to get your compromised metabolism going again.

If you really are concerned and feel desperate, scroll down to the bottom of this list of posts and read the five day pouch reset resource.

We are all sharing the same sorrows right now. But we have one thing in common in this group: we have all had amazing successes. You can have one again. It's just a matter of doing what you know works.

Or if you’re non-binary that’s cool too. :) Pronoun preferences are always welcome and super helpful for me.

I hate keeping my food journal. I did it really well until the last 4 weeks. The planning has kind of gone out the window due to Covid. I find myself eating the same things over and over. You’d think the repetition would drive me crazy, but it honestly takes my mind off of things. I think I’m down to cooking 3X a week for dinner. Nothing that takes over 30 minutes to make is in my wheelhouse these days. The rest is cold stuff that is easy to measure and digest (tuna salad, cottage cheese with fruit, caprese salad, yogurt with fruit and nuts, left over chili, etc.). But it really keeps my mind on being conscious enough to watch my portions and that I’m getting my protein in, even if I’m not writing it down all the time. Everything not meeting those needs I delete from the shopping list, so it restricts me from wandering away from what I should be consuming.

Like I said, I haven’t always been the best at recording, but I’m operating a lot more out of the emotional/survival part of my brain than the frontal/logical part these days.

Let us know how it goes and what actions you plan on taking. It helps me to know a buddy is out there working on the same thing. Thanks for sharing!

Back