• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Needed a something to eat

Ange6012

Hi All, I was hungry but not for anything in particular but knew I wanted something light.
Had 55gms of protein this morning in my coffee and will have chicken and another 25 gms shake tonight so I just wanted to put something to eat in my stomach.

Well last night, I made a huge salad with pork chops ( I had half of one)
So below is the salad I made last night, today I added some cole slaw and hummus on top. Yummy!

Spinach/arugula mix
Sliced red onion
Cucumber
Seasoned chickpeas
Quartered artichoke hearts
Quartered grape tomatoes
Kalamata olives
Marinated mushrooms
Feta cheese
Roasted red pepper
Pepperoncini

Wow, how did you get 55 grams of protein in your coffee?!! I don't drink coffee, but would Love to get that much protein in early in the day! :) As I think about it, it's probably through a whey protein? I've developed a dairy intolerance and it's really been a pain in my ass as far as getting my protein in. :/
Thanks for sharing the recipe, sounds yummy! :)

Hi All, I was hungry but not for anything in particular but knew I wanted something light.
Had 55gms of protein this morning in my coffee and will have chicken and another 25 gms shake tonight so I just wanted to put something to eat in my stomach.

Well last night, I made a huge salad with pork chops ( I had half of one)
So below is the salad I made last night, today I added some cole slaw and hummus on top. Yummy!

Spinach/arugula mix
Sliced red onion
Cucumber
Seasoned chickpeas
Quartered artichoke hearts
Quartered grape tomatoes
Kalamata olives
Marinated mushrooms
Feta cheese
Roasted red pepper
Pepperoncini
I agree how did you get 55 grams of protein in your coffee did you use a protein shake as a creamer? With your creamer?

Wow, how did you get 55 grams of protein in your coffee?!! I don't drink coffee, but would Love to get that much protein in early in the day! :) As I think about it, it's probably through a whey protein? I've developed a dairy intolerance and it's really been a pain in my ass as far as getting my protein in. :/
Thanks for sharing the recipe, sounds yummy! :)
I would say use what you like, create something yummy with what u use. I had to figure a way of getting it in and it was the best way I could figure....for now :)

I use 2 scoops of isopure protein powder, ff milk, coffee and splenda and I add 1/2 cup water
that doesn't sound like coffee to me! It's like that old joke where the person is pouring sugar into a cup of coffee and someone asks, "would you like a little coffee with your sugar?"o_O:eek:

but i totally understand. That's how you achieve a goal.

but Ange, that's not coffee! (IMO in Seattle, where Starbucks was born) <wink>

That salad sounds DELICIOUS! I had salad last night for dinner, but not hardly impressive. haha

Also, it is my understanding that your body cannot absorb more than 30g protein at a time. I honestly don't know if it is accurate but "google" agrees.
I will ask my dietitcian next time I see him so get his opinion on the matter.

That salad sounds DELICIOUS! I had salad last night for dinner, but not hardly impressive. haha

Also, it is my understanding that your body cannot absorb more than 30g protein at a time. I honestly don't know if it is accurate but "google" agrees.
Hmm I will ask mine as well. But since this gigantic drink lasts a few hours I'm not worried. There is no way I can finish it as one meal. More like breakfast, and late morning snack into lunch lol

Hmm I will ask mine as well. But since this gigantic drink lasts a few hours I'm not worried. There is no way I can finish it as one meal. More like breakfast, and late morning snack into lunch lol
That probably makes a difference. I am definitely interested to know and I don't know why I never asked him before. I was going to try adding peanutbutter protein to my shakes but they already had 30g so I thought it was a waste! Again, no clue why I never just asked. Guess I just don't think about it while I am there. haha

I always thought our bodies could not absorb more than 30 grams of protien at once! Also, I though it should be divided throughout the day, no?

Find an expert resource for this question, like the FDA or your own bariatric team. These thoughts can bog you down and even set your progress back. I remember being told by my team that the protein target for women was 60 to 75 grams daily, and for men, 90 to 110. I would think consuming this all at once would be a bad thing because the body can only absorb so much of any vitamin, mineral, or protein at once.

The push for protein in the early stages of post-op are because you cannot eat enough naturally to get all of your protein in. Once you can eat enough throughout the day, you (hopefully) won't have to adding extra, you can just focus on protein first.

It is something to think about, starting around a year imho. Adding protein also adds calories. Eventually, they will become an issue again and you won't want to add them unnecessarily. The goal is always to be able to get your nutrients from natural food.

Back