• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Needing advice / suggestions ASAP!!!!

Debbie S

I started my diet on April 27th and surgery was on May 5. Since my liquid diet on April 27 (and surgery) i have lost to date a total of 40 pounds. This is great since it has been only 28 days.

I am following my diet; however, I am still on phase 3. This means I am still on liquid diet, can eat broth, cream of soups, cream of wheat, sugar free popsicles, sf jello, skim milk, blended fruit and veggies, and stuff like that. My problem is I am lactose intolerant. I cannot stand the protein drinks no more, feel like i want to barf just at the smell of broth, dislike how the blended fruits and veggies taste, and i am lactose intolerant which means anytime i try and eat anything with milk it goes right through me. Basically everything i can have i don't want because it just don't appeal to me anymore.

Did anyone else have this problem? What are other things you can eat?

What about Lactaid the lactose free milk? I see commercials on it all the time and it says it's real milk with the lactose removed.

Two weeks after surgery I was allowed applesauce and cottage cheese and white flakey cooked fish, tuna and salmon. Of course a spoonful filled my new tiny tummy up. It tasted like heaven after being on a liquid diet of jello, cranberry juice and broth for the 1st week. Every doctor does things differently but maybe if you called the office and told them how sick you are feeling, the doctor may change your diet.

Hope you feel better soon!

Cheyenne:cool:

I started my diet on April 27th and surgery was on May 5. Since my liquid diet on April 27 (and surgery) i have lost to date a total of 40 pounds. This is great since it has been only 28 days.

I am following my diet; however, I am still on phase 3. This means I am still on liquid diet, can eat broth, cream of soups, cream of wheat, sugar free popsicles, sf jello, skim milk, blended fruit and veggies, and stuff like that. My problem is I am lactose intolerant. I cannot stand the protein drinks no more, feel like i want to barf just at the smell of broth, dislike how the blended fruits and veggies taste, and i am lactose intolerant which means anytime i try and eat anything with milk it goes right through me. Basically everything i can have i don't want because it just don't appeal to me anymore.

Hi,

It is so important to find a protein drink that you can tolerate and preferably like.

This is essential to assure that you get your 60mg of protein each day and not have to face the problems that could exist by being malnurished including severe loss of muscle.

Even while I made sure I received my 80mg of protein over the 9 months or so that it took for me to reach my goal weight I still lost a fair amount of muscle.

So, find a protein drink that you like.

I like Premier shakes, which are generally available. I buy them by the case at Costco. They come in Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry. I find them tasteful and quite tolerable.

As you progress in your phases and you begin to enjoy some real protein (my favorite being eggs and steak but in very small portions) your need for shakes will be dramatically reduced. I would expect expect that you can have puree foods by now. Soft boiled eggs for me were quite enjoyable and tolerable in Phase 3.

Ralph

Hi,

It is so important to find a protein drink that you can tolerate and preferably like.

This is essential to assure that you get your 60mg of protein each day and not have to face the problems that could exist by being malnurished including severe loss of muscle.

Even while I made sure I received my 80mg of protein over the 9 months or so that it took for me to reach my goal weight I still lost a fair amount of muscle.

So, find a protein drink that you like.

I like Premier shakes, which are generally available. I buy them by the case at Costco. They come in Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry. I find them tasteful and quite tolerable.

As you progress in your phases and you begin to enjoy some real protein (my favorite being eggs and steak but in very small portions) your need for shakes will be dramatically reduced. I would expect expect that you can have puree foods by now. Soft boiled eggs for me were quite enjoyable and tolerable in Phase 3.

Ralph

Hi Debbie S, I'm sorry I haven't written to you. I still haven't heard about my surgery date yet. Maybe you can get some protein powder and lactaid milk. See if that helps instead of pre-made shakes. Try maybe blending soft foods and straining them for lumps and try and eat them that way. I don't know. Trying to introduce new soft, blended, strained foods might be okay. Or even eating baby foods. Just to see what you can tolerate. But be sure and get your protein in there. Good luck.

Hi I too have a problem with lactose. Try the lactose free (lactaid) cottage cheese. And the unjury powder can be mixed with water and is not milk based. I also did some small amounts of cream of wheat and added the strawberry unjury powder.

Good luck

Back