• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Needing Support :o)

Hilda

Hello everyone! This is my first attempt so be patient with my posting. I had roux-en-y surgery in Carmel, Indiana in 2005. I'm down around 200 pounds, and I'm very thankful for that. My health is DRASTICALLY better. I'm honestly not sure what my goal weight is at this time. There is a lot of excess skin which will not retreat. With my age, amount, and rapidity of the loss, surgery may be my only recourse to lose the skin. I need your support guys!

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the dumping syndrome effects. My only post-operative hindrance is ingestion quantity. I truly want to get the rest of my weight off - but it's really depressing when I look in the mirror or hear my skin flap together! It takes the motivation away to add to the problem. I'm no longer able to work nor do I have insurance due to grand mal seizures. I have an attorney working on my disability case. Hopefully this will open some doors to a surgical solution.

I am so thankful to God for what he has done so far via the surgery. I was taking 5 insulin shots per day when I went in for surgery - nothing now. It is my goal to be the best I can be. That is why I chose to have the surgery 8 years ago. I just needed to remind myself of this by saying it out loud. Thanks for listening!

Welcome to the group! It's nice to have a surgery veteran added to the ranks. Looking at your stats I see you have lost around 200 lbs. - that is amazing!I don't know anything about the plastic surgery (I am only 2 1/2 weeks post -op), but I'm sure that where there is a will, there is a way.

All in good time, I suppose. Considering where I began and where I am now, I can live with the skin, but it sure would be nice to have it gone.

First, I want to congratulate you on your magnificent loss of excess fat! That is quite an accomplishment!! Your health, your heart, and your other organs are thanking you, for sure!!! I am only 2 weeks post op, and even though I'm an R.N., I do not have much knowledge of bariatric surgery except for what I have researched and learned prior to my surgery. I can tell you something about the skin removal, though.

The removal of excess skin is usually considered a cosmetic surgery, and therefore insurance may not even cover it. There are some physicians who know how to finagle their way around the loopholes of the insurance giants. Fortunately, things may change for bariatric patients as the new Affordable Care Act comes into play in 2014, as there will be no way an insurance company at that time can refuse needed surgeries for any reason. Stay tuned! Things may change for the better soon in that regard!

Until then, good luck!!!

I have actually heard that bariatric patients that have lost over 100 lbs are often considered medically necessary for excess skin removal (e.g tummy tucks, etc) in order to avoid infections, etc. Have you even consulted with a plastic surgeon yet?

I'm currently waiting on Medicare to be approved before seeking further options. Have extra medical issues which complicate this issue. I do know surgery can be warranted by possible infection from excess skin hanging - just have to have the right doctor/insurance combo! My current problem of seizures has left me unable to work and drive. Once my attorney (with God's help) has the disability approved, it will allow me more options. Until then, I look at my before pictures in size 52 dresses and I can be content for now in size 18's.

Thank you all for your support!

P.S. For those just starting out. Picture suggestion. A friend took 3 full-body pictures: back, side, front, in front of the same wall at time intervals. It gives you a true idea of your progress. You'll be glad you have them later for they are priceless!
I was AMAZED at what people saw from the back!! LOL

Hello and Welcome. I am 4 years post op rny. I am 207 today. I have lost a total of 130 lbsw. but gained 30 lbs. back. I really got off track since I do not dump and have learned how to eat more...ughhhhhh!
Today is a new day! I have my post op instructions out for 7 months to goal..and that is what I will eat ..one meal at a time.. it may take some yelling, kicking and screaming on my part but I paid out of pocket ($25,000-that I borrowed since I didn't have that kind of money) My doctors said I needed to get 100 lbs. off in 6 months and they suggested this was the best way and 2 insurances both denied..I didn't have "time" to fight it because I was very sick. I am off my insulin shots , have dropped a couple comorbidities..can walk without stopping every 2 feet..so totally worth it!
Have you considerred buying the "hold it in garments" such as "girdles of some sort"?? They have helped me feel better because unless insurance would cover I am not going out and borrowing money for that too. I feel your pain. Look at your success though- 200 lbs. is nothing to sneeze about. You CAN get back on track. I am not consistent with exercise when I am not eating right so here goes..at least 10 minutes a day.. Can you walk? Walk 10 minutes at a time.. You can do this.. We are rooting for you!

Most people I know, with accurage documentation of problems caused by the excess skin have been approved for surgery. A good surgeon is a great help as is a dermatologist for those people that have rashes from chafing. I know a lady that was approved. She kept excellent documentation, including pictures of what the sagging excess sking was doing to the skin beneath the excess fold, rashes, journal of treatments, etc. She lost over 50 pounds from the removal of this excess flesh and it was preapproved and covered under her insurance plan.
So don't lose hope. Hang in there. If your excess skin is causing medical problems, you most likely have a case for additional surgery.
Dawn

Back