• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Needing support.

Shannon73

I had my surgery September 12, 2017. My surgeon assures me I am doing well but I just can't feel it. I find myself grazing because depression is high. I have fibromyalgia and constant pain. I wish this all wasn't so hard. Just this past week I had issues and lost 6 lbs in 4 days but was in bathroom constantly. I feel like I am at the beginning again babying myself. Does anyone else feel like this?

i understand what you are feeling. I have been dealing with depression lately too and can’t shake it. My doctor tells me I am the poster child of bariatric surgery because of how well I have done so far, but I don’t feel that way. I feel like a fraud and a failure a lot and like I will never reach my personal goals. I have been grazing ALOT and I am up 10 pounds. Having a hard time. Nothing about this has been easy and I don’t think it gets easier at all. We just have to figure out how to keep things in perspective and in check. We all need support. And I don’t have any and that is why I am here. This is my first time reaching out since surgery.

"We are only as sick as our secrets."

Hi friends. If you are having a lot of problems, and it's affecting your surgery success, call your doctor.

People always think that because they're depressed, or have some other condition, that what is happening to them is their fault or they should be able to fix it. This is a lie.

if you had enough depression to actually eat your way up to a very unhealthy weight, you must know that you could do that again.

I think it's important to accept the fact that you're going to struggle. And when you struggle you probably have two reactions: hide it or fight it.

Please open yourself up to other people, like you're doing here in this forum. Tell everyone who matters that you're struggling and tell them how you are struggling. Especially tell your doctor. Doctors figure these kind of things out.

I am also a depressive. I take medication for it. But I do feel very good when I am in tune with my fit body, when I'm exercising, when I'm eating right, when I'm loving myself. I know we are unique and our stories may overlap. But we share a lot of the same problems. The most destructive secret we keep is that we don't deserve happiness.

So please reach out. Don't try to carry this burden yourself. You have not proven yourself to be an advocate for yourself in the past. What is different now? Until you know, get help from outside of you.

Last edited:
I've tried to look at my emotions and calm them to keep from eating. I also try and replace food with some sips of water. Other food replacements can be to get on the phone, water your plants, play with your dog, take a walk. We know the tools, we need to reach for them.

I see a therapist now for depression. She has me doing a journal. Sometimes just writing it out and getting your thoughts out of your mind. You can go back to it later and figure out what was going on. It has been working with me here lately. It worked really good through my rough patch. But it is just something for thought. If that does not work talking to someone may help. Go some where relaxing. Walk the park or sit on the bench and read a book. Depression could be because you are doing the same thing all the time. Switch it up sometimes. Just thought to give my 2cents on the matter.

i understand what you are feeling. I have been dealing with depression lately too and can’t shake it. My doctor tells me I am the poster child of bariatric surgery because of how well I have done so far, but I don’t feel that way. I feel like a fraud and a failure a lot and like I will never reach my personal goals. I have been grazing ALOT and I am up 10 pounds. Having a hard time. Nothing about this has been easy and I don’t think it gets easier at all. We just have to figure out how to keep things in perspective and in check. We all need support. And I don’t have any and that is why I am here. This is my first time reaching out since surgery.
This is why a wrestle everyday if I should do this surgery. Paying 15,000 is a lot of money to give someone to start grassing or not loosing weight and be right back. I have a dr that will not listening to complaints or whining as he calls it. Take your vitamins and eat 800 calories for the rest of your life or don’t do surgery is all he says....it hard to keep a smile on your face with someone that makes you feel bad before u get started.......

Find a new surgeon. That is not at
This is why a wrestle everyday if I should do this surgery. Paying 15,000 is a lot of money to give someone to start grassing or not loosing weight and be right back. I have a dr that will not listening to complaints or whining as he calls it. Take your vitamins and eat 800 calories for the rest of your life or don’t do surgery is all he says....it hard to keep a smile on your face with someone that makes you feel bad before u get started.......
find a new surgeon. Yes, it is a harsh reality that we became fat because of our lifestyle but we are asking for help on how to become successful and healthy. The way your doctor is coming across lacks both professionalism and empathy.

I had my surgery September 12, 2017. My surgeon assures me I am doing well but I just can't feel it. I find myself grazing because depression is high. I have fibromyalgia and constant pain. I wish this all wasn't so hard. Just this past week I had issues and lost 6 lbs in 4 days but was in bathroom constantly. I feel like I am at the beginning again babying myself. Does anyone else feel like this?

Yes, I had surgery October 16, 2017. I am having the same issues.

Back