• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Negative mental self talk...STOP

Tmivory

Starting the process of gastric surgery. I'm nervous, second guessing and trying to fight those demons in my head telling me "you should work out longer and harder and more days of the week, don't eat as much, eat better food, etc. Then you'lllose the weight, try harder." How do I stop this negative beratment? I've always been told surgery is an absolute last report. UGH

Weight loss surgery is the only solution for some of us.

Repetition is the defense to tapes running in your head. You just repeat some affirmations like, "I am beautiful inside and out." Put it in your head and say it over and over and over and over and over. Repeat it in rhythm. Repeat it while you're on a treadmill working out. Associate it with something pleasant like, sitting outside in the sun on a lovely afternoon. Burn it onto a CD or record it on a cassette tape to your Walkman while you walk a mile in the morning.

You already know that your brain has recorded every negative statement you've ever heard or said. And without your permission, it plays these negative messages back to you, destroying your self-esteem. You can battle them with affirmations. It works.

Even if you don't want to make your own tapes or CDs, you can find all kinds of affirmation tapes at your library, or if you want to buy one, you can buy them online. I actually dubbed a tape created by someone named Denis Waitley. Good stuff. Denis Waitley - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I totally agree with Diane, positive affirmations are the only things that help me battle my inner critic The food addiction will do anything to keep itself alive and found a voice. You have to find your own to knock it the hell down! I used to roll my eyes when people mentioned affirmations but they really do help, I swear. Some of my favorites are:
  • I love and accept myself for who I am
  • I trust and believe in myself
  • I am a beautiful, funny and compassionate woman, worthy of love
  • I am grateful to my body for all it has done and continues to do for me
  • I am healing more everyday
  • I am grateful for my life, and strive to live in joy

Weight loss surgery is the only solution for some of

Repetition is the defense to tapes running in your head. You just repeat some affirmations like, "I am beautiful inside and out." Put it in your head and say it over and over and over and over and over. Repeat it in rhythm. Repeat it while you're on a treadmill working out. Associate it with something pleasant like, sitting outside in the sun on a lovely afternoon. Burn it onto a CD or record it on a cassette tape to your Walkman while you walk a mile in the morning.

You already know that your brain has recorded every negative statement you've ever heard or said. And without your permission, it plays these negative messages back to you, destroying your self-esteem. You can battle them with affirmations. It works.

Even if you don't want to make your own tapes or CDs, you can find all kinds of affirmation tapes at your library, or if you want to buy one, you can buy them online. I actually dubbed a tape created by someone named Denis Waitley. Good stuff. Denis Waitley - Wikipedia
DianeSeattle- you are also beautiful inside and out! You can tell from your posts!

I totally agree with Diane, positive affirmations are the only things that help me battle my inner critic The food addiction will do anything to keep itself alive and found a voice. You have to find your own to knock it the hell down! I used to roll my eyes when people mentioned affirmations but they really do help, I swear. Some of my favorites are:
  • I love and accept myself for who I am
  • I trust and believe in myself
  • I am a beautiful, funny and compassionate woman, worthy of love
  • I am healing more everyday
  • I am grateful for my life, and strive to live in joy
Brenda2010- Those are great affirmations coming from a beautiful, funny and compassionate lady!

This is a great thread! Just what I needed!

{{{{{{ ♡♡♡♡TEX!♡♡♡♡ }}}}}}

Newcomers, this is why this group is so awesome. Not only do you get to hear about our experiences and compare them to your own, but you also get real love from each other. It's a virtual support group meeting, even though it's not face-to-face. I feel like I know everyone here with whom I have exchanged posts. It would be impossible to find this many good friends who share the same problems I do in real life. So this group is my first stop almost everyday.

Sometimes I don't have time to write, but I almost always have time to read. I appreciate everything everyone says. And I think I have noticed, by reading people's thoughts on as they write them, that everyone here has gotten a little better. And I personally want to thank the people who know, like I know, how much we need this group. They didn't hit and run. They hung out, like I did, allowing the virtual conversation to get real. I love all you guys!

That's an affirmation that is REALLY good for me.

I learned about affirmations from books and then of course I checked out library cassette tapes in order to hear them and see how they worked on me. But I had the good fortune to meet a man ( it's hard to talk about him, still) who saw in me what I didn't see in myself, and he is the one who gave me these affirmations to recite everyday, like a mantra:

• I am beautiful inside and out
  • People will perceive me as beautiful
because I AM beautiful
  • I become more beautiful everyday
  • I improve myself everyday
  • I am LIGHT

These affirmations worked really well for me because I'm the kind of person who always bites off more than she can chew, and then can't admit it. Having only 5 affirmations to repeat made using affirmations possible for me.

And I didn't believe a word of it at first. That's why affirmations work. After steady repetition, the part of your brain that is hungry for love and self-esteem devours these words and they become true.

If you doubt the power of affirmations, just think about the negative self-talk you are engaging in right now. If you really focus on your brain and what it is saying back to you while you are ogling a piece of cake or stuffing your face full of food at a barbecue, you will hear the voices of the people who thought they had the right to tell you who you were from the time you were born.

I am very grateful that he came into my life and made it possible for me to believe I could be better than I was. Because of him, I love myself like I couldn't before. And I hope that what I learned from him and from life is something I can share with others who will appreciate it as much as I did.

Thank you guys so much! Brenda the examples are perfect, hope you don't mind me "borrowing" them while I dig deep to create specific ones for me! The one that hits home the hardest is
After all my body has provided me 3 fantastic kids, managed the stress of losing both parents at a young age, a verbally and emotionally abusive relationship and all the negative talk that im not worthy. My body has taken care of me all these years. Now its time i take care of her!
Thank you all so much for letting me see the light that this journey, this incredible, deserving, exciting journey is worth it! ❤

Newcomers, this is why this group is so awesome. Not only do you get to hear about our experiences and compare them to your own, but you also get real love from each other. It's a virtual support group meeting, even though it's not face-to-face. I feel like I know everyone here with whom I have exchanged posts. It would be impossible to find this many good friends who share the same problems I do in real life. So this group is my first stop almost everyday.

Sometimes I don't have time to write, but I almost always have time to read. I appreciate everything everyone says. And I think I have noticed, by reading people's thoughts on as they write them, that everyone here has gotten a little better. And I personally want to thank the people who know, like I know, how much we need this group. They didn't hit and run. They hung out, like I did, allowing the virtual conversation to get real. I love all you guys!

I learned about affirmations from books and then of course I checked out library cassette tapes in order to hear them and see how they worked on me. But I had the good fortune to meet a man ( it's hard to talk about him, still) who saw in me what I didn't see in myself, and he is the one who gave me these affirmations to recite everyday, like a mantra:

because I AM beautiful
  • I am LIGHT
These affirmations worked really well for me because I'm the kind of person who always bites off more than she can chew, and then can't admit it. Having only 5 affirmations to repeat made using affirmations possible for me.

And I didn't believe a word of it at first. That's why affirmations work. After steady repetition, the part of your brain that is hungry for love and self-esteem devours these words and they become true.

If you doubt the power of affirmations, just think about the negative self-talk you are engaging in right now. If you really focus on your brain and what it is saying back to you while you are ogling a piece of cake or stuffing your face full of food at a barbecue, you will hear the voices of the people who thought they had the right to tell you who you were from the time you were born.

I am very grateful that he came into my life and made it possible for me to believe I could be better than I was. Because of him, I love myself like I couldn't before. And I hope that what I learned from him and from life is something I can share with others who will appreciate it as much as I did.
Beautifully said! I too am new to affirmations and will begin using them daily, likely more.
This is a great group, i wish I could give you all a hug for helping me!

because I AM beautiful
  • I am LIGHT

That is so inspiring! It reminded me of when I picked my son from school after he had a tough day. He was in the back seat and started to sniffle when he told me he was stupid. I assured him that he was not stupid! I felt so helpless to comfort him since I was driving in traffic. I told him that I wanted to help him and I needed him to take a deep breath. I told him to listen carefully to me and to then hug himself and say, "I love myself." He was quiet for a minute and then I heard a sniffley, "I love myself." I told him to do it 3 more times, and he did! When we finally had a chance to talk, he didn't seem to remember what it was that bothered him. In the few years that followed, we repeated the process, until it got to a point when he said, "Mom, that's dumb." Oh well...I do know that affirmations work and I only regret that I didn't know about them when I was younger.

Thank you guys so much! Brenda the examples are perfect, hope you don't mind me "borrowing" them while I dig deep to create specific ones for me! The one that hits home the hardest is
After all my body has provided me 3 fantastic kids, managed the stress of losing both parents at a young age, a verbally and emotionally abusive relationship and all the negative talk that im not worthy. My body has taken care of me all these years. Now its time i take care of her!
Thank you all so much for letting me see the light that this journey, this incredible, deserving, exciting journey is worth it! ❤

Borrow away TM, they don't wear out. ;) Your body is a gift! I'm so glad you can see it. It took me a long time to stop hating my body. What finally got me to the point of being grateful is looking back on all the years of abuse I've put it through and realizing how it's worked to continue to keep me as healthy as it has. Miraculous really.

Starting the process of gastric surgery. I'm nervous, second guessing and trying to fight those demons in my head telling me "you should work out longer and harder and more days of the week, don't eat as much, eat better food, etc. Then you'lllose the weight, try harder." How do I stop this negative beratment? I've always been told surgery is an absolute last report. UGH

@Tmivory, also, bariatric surgery is a tool....it's not the end-all, so please tell your precious self it is something to be used in addition to working out longer & harder and eating better. "Look-a-here, self; we gonna get it together and work this thing out!" It's a great group of ppl in this forum that won't let you get beat up. #OneForAll.

Back