• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Negative Personality changes post-op

Can I be honest? I don't love this. Personally, I wonder if he's being a jerk or if his family is just having a hard time coming to grips with his new, healthier lifestyle? You do change when you have WLS. You have to. You have to ficus on yourself and your needs. Too often, that can be seen as a negative thing. Most changes in others behaviors are viewed as negative by those who liked the status quo. He has every right to be proud of himself, which can seem arrogant. A refusal to just "eat what we're having" or " then just sit there and watch while we all eat cake" can seem confrontational and stubborn.

Just a different perspective I guess.
I think you have a good point. Sometimes it’s really hard to have someone you are so near to change, even if it doesn’t involve you, it feels personal because it’s different. When my mom started working through her “stuff” when I was 15, I thought she was being cold, selfish, and distant. I accused her of trying to be like a friend of hers. She was working thru some really intense stuff from her own childhood that I could’ve never known about. She was and is so selfless, but now she doesn’t sacrifice the stuff she needs to do for her to be where she needs to be for others. It isn’t easy to make big changes in our lives, especially when there are people close to us that may take it on as something else. I think you have a really good point Missy. Thank you!

Back