• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

NERVES!

I have my first appointment on Tuesday the 31st. I’m just nervous that I won’t be approved I guess? I’m currently 222 and 5’5, so I know I’m 100lbs over my “ideal” weight...nerves just got me wondering if this could really happen for me!
Hi Danielleleigh. I quickly used the BMI calculator and it looks like you are at 36.9. The obese range begins at 30. So I don't think you will have problems with medical necessity. Be sure to make a list of everything you've done in the past to try to loose weight. The insurance companies want to know that you've tried over and over again.

I'm so excited for you, good luck Tuesday and please keep us posted. :)

Welcome, Danielle. I hope you do what Brenda suggested. Dig everything up! You'll be making a list of failures, but you'll be approved so you can make a new list of successes. And make sure your surgeon is on board with everything you've written. A letter from your surgeon usually does the trick.

Brenda, you should write a resource listing the conditions and comorbidities that would be important for an insurance carrier and surgeon to have. Seriously. We've read so many here. That would be so helpful to the pre-surg crowd.

Okay! Soooo my apppintment went great. From the doctors note’s it looks like she’s saying it’s medically necessary. She does want me to get a sleep apnea test for sure though, just to check things out. I have an appointment with the dietitian tomorrow! I also double checked w/ my insurance, they told me there is no waiting period for my insurance either which is cool. Oh.. my psych appointment is 2/3/20..I can’t wait! My dream is to have surgery in March, to be able to have it for my bachelor’s graduation in May/June timeframe. We shall see!!!!

Oh! And in the paperwork, she specifically stated that my depression & back pain would be helped by surgery. Sooo if I don’t have sleep apnea it seems like those issues are going to be the comorbidities used?

Okay! Soooo my apppintment went great. From the doctors note’s it looks like she’s saying it’s medically necessary. She does want me to get a sleep apnea test for sure though, just to check things out. I have an appointment with the dietitian tomorrow! I also double checked w/ my insurance, they told me there is no waiting period for my insurance either which is cool. Oh.. my psych appointment is 2/3/20..I can’t wait! My dream is to have surgery in March, to be able to have it for my bachelor’s graduation in May/June timeframe. We shall see!!!!

Oh! And in the paperwork, she specifically stated that my depression & back pain would be helped by surgery. Sooo if I don’t have sleep apnea it seems like those issues are going to be the comorbidities used?

I’m glad to hear your appointment went so well. It looks things are going to move quickly for you. My insurance required six months of nutrition classes. I haven’t had my surgery yet (scheduled for 2/13) however I have found a lot of value in this site and learning from the experiences of others. If you haven’t already, I encourage you to review the pre and post surgery forums.

In which field are you obtaining your bachelors degree?

That's awesome, congratulations. Sounds like you're on your way!

my degree is in sociology! then shortly after I plan on getting a certificate in social justice and masters in social work. And yes! Reading through the forums has definitely helped ease my mind (chronic worrier over here). I can’t wait for your surgery! I know you must be excited!

I’m glad to hear your appointment went so well. It looks things are going to move quickly for you. My insurance required six months of nutrition classes. I haven’t had my surgery yet (scheduled for 2/13) however I have found a lot of value in this site and learning from the experiences of others. If you haven’t already, I encourage you to review the pre and post surgery forums.

In which field are you obtaining your bachelors degree?

i forgot to mention MamaBear's pre-surgical shopping list, which is pretty damn comprehensive. Pre surgery buying

The resources list begins at the bottom of the What's New page, not the Forums page.

And for anyone so inclined, if you feel you can contribute a resource everyone can use, go for it. You don't have to have any special privileges to post an article there.

welcome all newcomers, there's a lot of diamonds buried here.

i forgot to mention MamaBear's pre-surgical shopping list, which is pretty damn comprehensive. Pre surgery buying

The resources list begins at the bottom of the What's New page, not the Forums page.

And for anyone so inclined, if you feel you can contribute a resource everyone can use, go for it. You don't have to have any special privileges to post an article there.

welcome all newcomers, there's a lot of diamonds buried here.

Update guys..
This morning I had my first meeting w/ the dietitian and with a nurse just to go over any concerns or anything. I'm SO EXCITED! My insurance said I have no waiting period, so they say after my Psych in March, my paperwork will be submitted. I'm hoping ALL goes well!
So exciting!!! I had my surgery March 11th last year so you'll likely be just a year behind me!

Back