• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Never Give Up

IamWorthIt

Hello all,
I’m new to this forum, but not Bariatrics. My story is kind of long, but I’ll do my best to put it out there.

In October 2007 I had my lapband installed (is that the right term? Sounds weird ). I definitely had a love/hate relationship with my band. I learned very quickly how to eat what I wanted even with the band. All I had to do was throw up what I ate and with the band it was easy to bring food back up, much easier than getting it down.

I got to where I was throwing up at every meal. When we went to a restaurant, I learned to immediately find the restroom because I knew as I ate I would need the toilet to get the food back out.

I did this religiously until suddenly, nothing would go through. My band had slipped. I had managed to lose 125+ but was suddenly in a horrible place when I couldn’t even get water to stay down. After about 10 days of every drop of anything I put in my mouth coming back up, I finally went to see my doctor. They did a swallow study and we learned my band had completely slipped causing a full obstruction. I had to go in for emergency surgery.

Of course I didn’t want my band removed. It had caused me to lose 125+ pounds. So they just did a revision and got it back where it belonged. This was August 2008. So I had lost 125+ in less than 10 months.

A few weeks later after I healed, it became time for me to start getting fills again. I had gained about 30 pounds back, but I was ok with that. I got a few fills, but then I talked myself out of getting any more fills because I wanted to have another baby soon. So I had all the liquid removed and my band was wide open.

It took me over five years to actually have that baby. In November 2013, I finally had my baby girl. During that time, I gained back ALL of my weight I had lost from throwing up with the lapband and I was so ashamed. I felt I had wasted all my time and efforts. I refused to go see my Bariatric surgeon even for follow ups because I didn’t want to admit my failure. I knew it was all my fault.

Fast forward to 2022. I was at my original pre-surgery weight. I had tried and tried to lose weight but would only lose 15-20 pounds and fail and gain it all back. Keep in mind, I still had my band in and would occasionally get food stuck and have to puke it back up. I was miserable. Everything hurt.

I finally convinced myself that I deserved better. Just because I failed once, didn’t mean I was doomed for the rest of my life. So I went back to my Bariatric clinic in December 2022. There was a new surgeon there. All the old surgeons had retired or moved on in the last 15 years. The new surgeon told me it would take two procedures, one to remove my lapband followed by my sleeve surgery 3 months later. He insisted he didn’t want to combine the procedures and that I had to wait those three months to heal.

I had my band removed 1/30/23. I am currently in the three month wait time between surgeries. I am hopeful to have my sleeve surgery the first of May, but it hasn’t actually been scheduled yet.

So that’s my story. I’m here looking for support so hopefully I can find success again and stick with it. Does anyone have a similar story or can relate?

looking forward to making new friends and supporting each other,
Heidi

This group is here for support and I wish you luck on your personal journey, but you need to seek some help with the emotional part of this journey. The way you did it in the beginning was not the safest route and I hope this surgery helps you a lot more. A lot of us have food dependences for our emotional support and we need to learn to manage and navigate our lives better with food. I had a sleeve in 12 and I lost the weight and did very well, but I have regained all the weight. I had married and had children and put my needs on the back burner. I used my old coping mechanisms to help me deal with my kids illnesses and the loss of loved ones. I gave myself permission to eat and indulge and let things spiral. I just had a conversion to a SADI-S and ready to get my life under control for myself but for my children. I want to be around for them and be able to do things without worrying about if I will fit or not. We all have stories and I hope you find help here.

This group is here for support and I wish you luck on your personal journey, but you need to seek some help with the emotional part of this journey. The way you did it in the beginning was not the safest route and I hope this surgery helps you a lot more. A lot of us have food dependences for our emotional support and we need to learn to manage and navigate our lives better with food. I had a sleeve in 12 and I lost the weight and did very well, but I have regained all the weight. I had married and had children and put my needs on the back burner. I used my old coping mechanisms to help me deal with my kids illnesses and the loss of loved ones. I gave myself permission to eat and indulge and let things spiral. I just had a conversion to a SADI-S and ready to get my life under control for myself but for my children. I want to be around for them and be able to do things without worrying about if I will fit or not. We all have stories and I hope you find help here.

Hi Loops,
Nice to meet you.

I definitely agree the way I ended up going about “eating around the band” wasn’t healthy and it definitely wasn’t what I had planned to do. Maybe I didn’t emphasize that that’s how I learned to survive. The band became a tool that taught me to be bulimic.

I’m definitely going into this next procedure with my prior experience and learning from that. I don’t expect it to be easy. I know I have to make life changes. But I’m excited to embark on this new adventure and prove to myself that I’m not a failure and I’m worth it.

I wish you all the success on your journey as well!

Hello all,
I’m new to this forum, but not Bariatrics. My story is kind of long, but I’ll do my best to put it out there.

In October 2007 I had my lapband installed (is that the right term? Sounds weird ). I definitely had a love/hate relationship with my band. I learned very quickly how to eat what I wanted even with the band. All I had to do was throw up what I ate and with the band it was easy to bring food back up, much easier than getting it down.

I got to where I was throwing up at every meal. When we went to a restaurant, I learned to immediately find the restroom because I knew as I ate I would need the toilet to get the food back out.

I did this religiously until suddenly, nothing would go through. My band had slipped. I had managed to lose 125+ but was suddenly in a horrible place when I couldn’t even get water to stay down. After about 10 days of every drop of anything I put in my mouth coming back up, I finally went to see my doctor. They did a swallow study and we learned my band had completely slipped causing a full obstruction. I had to go in for emergency surgery.

Of course I didn’t want my band removed. It had caused me to lose 125+ pounds. So they just did a revision and got it back where it belonged. This was August 2008. So I had lost 125+ in less than 10 months.

A few weeks later after I healed, it became time for me to start getting fills again. I had gained about 30 pounds back, but I was ok with that. I got a few fills, but then I talked myself out of getting any more fills because I wanted to have another baby soon. So I had all the liquid removed and my band was wide open.

It took me over five years to actually have that baby. In November 2013, I finally had my baby girl. During that time, I gained back ALL of my weight I had lost from throwing up with the lapband and I was so ashamed. I felt I had wasted all my time and efforts. I refused to go see my Bariatric surgeon even for follow ups because I didn’t want to admit my failure. I knew it was all my fault.

Fast forward to 2022. I was at my original pre-surgery weight. I had tried and tried to lose weight but would only lose 15-20 pounds and fail and gain it all back. Keep in mind, I still had my band in and would occasionally get food stuck and have to puke it back up. I was miserable. Everything hurt.

I finally convinced myself that I deserved better. Just because I failed once, didn’t mean I was doomed for the rest of my life. So I went back to my Bariatric clinic in December 2022. There was a new surgeon there. All the old surgeons had retired or moved on in the last 15 years. The new surgeon told me it would take two procedures, one to remove my lapband followed by my sleeve surgery 3 months later. He insisted he didn’t want to combine the procedures and that I had to wait those three months to heal.

I had my band removed 1/30/23. I am currently in the three month wait time between surgeries. I am hopeful to have my sleeve surgery the first of May, but it hasn’t actually been scheduled yet.

So that’s my story. I’m here looking for support so hopefully I can find success again and stick with it. Does anyone have a similar story or can relate?

Heidi

Hello all,

Heidi
I would strongly encourage you to look at bypass instead of sleeve for revision - revisions to sleeve have a SIGNIFICANTLY higher instance of GERD in the future than going to bypass. This happened to me, and I wish my doctor had been honest with me about just how much higher the risk is in a revision to sleeve. Surgeons love the sleeve because it is quicker and easier, in SO many cases, those revisions require another revision to bypass in order to take care of the GERD.

Hello and welcome! I agree with El. Bypass is the way to go IF he will do it. I am not a doctor so take what I say with a grain of salt. But, all those years of vomiting probably did not do your esophagus any good. You could have some damage that will make reflux much more likely. Discuss this with your surgeon.

Congrats on your decision to take charge of your life AND on your baby!!

I had the lapband in 2010. Went from 302 to 180. Between my failings and the band slipping, I am now at 255. I had the lap band out last year and am now almost a year into the bariatric program. I should be having the Sleeve sometime in July. I'm proud that I'm still down about 50 pounds from 12 years ago, and I'm ready to begin my next chapter. I have no GERD issues right now, but I know they're a distinct possibility/likelihood.

This is a good place to find information on questions to talk to your bariatric team about before surgery. The comments others are giving you here are priceless. Listen and the dr can verify what is best. I went with bypass since it is the hardest to cheat on, not impossible but hardest. I had Gerd for years before surgery, after surgery the dr put me on pantropazol for heartburn. It works for me.

Back