• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New! 2weeks post op problems need help pls!

Jessica

Hello i had surgery on nov 6, 2012 , was doing great up until the 20th when i brought back up my vitamins! B complex i just cant do it. They make me so sick even trying to take ot with food. The smell, taste and hard to swallow! Please help me iv tryed taking it with water, tea and pudding nothing helps. A couple other thing that are happening are, my taste buds are so off everything taste nasty and my stomach is so itchy :((red) i think from the tape irritating my skin, for that iv been using hydrocortisone works for a little bit but wheres off fast. Has any of these thing happened to any of you....????

Hi Jessica, Welcome. The change in tastebuds is normal and happens to all of us to some extent, that is why it is suggested to not stock up onb protien drinks until after surgery and you find out what tastes good. I have heard that some folks develope an allergic rash from the tape that is used from the surgery but make sure that it is not an infection so look for swelling tenderness and redness, puss and a bad smell and pain at the incision site or if the rash persists see you doctor to make sure there is nothing else going on. I don't take the B complex I take the B12 and a multi vitamin but keep searching for a B comlex that works for you, I had the same problem with finding a calcium that worked for me but I eventually found one. Your doing great, keep up the good work. :cool: Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for the advice, im am taking the b12 as well and thats fine. Wish i could post a pic of my stomach but the phone will not let me. I have called the doctors and they dont seem to think its a big problem, i tell them ehat it looks like and they say just put on the anti itch cream. And because my taste buds are do bad cant eat much, come to find out that i like the peaches in the container in own juice, the juice hurta a litte i think from the sugar but i feel atleast im able to get somthing down. Broth, cream if chicken anything like that i get sick.

Hi Jess,
try using B complex liquid. just an eyedropfull goes under the tongue to be absorbed. also try chewable vitamins. I use centrum orange flavored.
hope this helps!

Peaches are good. I could only have pureed or liquid type foods for the first few weeks but I had the RnY so our meal plans are probobly different but the peach juice is more than likely causing the discomfort, try peach yogury ar blending peaches into a vinilla protien shake and see if you like that. It is important to get your protien in for healing, weight loss and keeping your muscles strong. Keep trying different things. :cool: Tom

Jessica
hi like Tom said please keep an eye on your incsion, at 2 weeks post op when they went to take my stapes out (I had a 15" open bariatric surgery) they ended up leaving me open in the incision line a hole 3by4'5 due to infection, at 8 weeks out now happy to say it's down to quarter size hole, and healing
the taste buds thing does get better but it takes up to 6 weeks at least mine has, my coffee I used to love still don't like the taste of it and a few other things, and the smell of cooking oil etc can cause nauseau , our bodies are going through so many changes I think it's in shock. My sister found me some peaches in a can packed in water, they taste great.alot of people are allergic to certain tapes I don't know why dr office doesn't let you come in to make sure everything is ok, make sure you have no fever or redness.
take care
Donna

I also had the sleeve. The tape didn't bother me, but did someone else I know that had it. The doctor removed it the first week and the irritation stopped. I do chewable multivitamins which at first where so sweet I could only take small bites every few minutes to get one pill down. I take calcium as well, it was worse. I only had to take b12 which i just put under my tongue and it dissolved. In the beginning just getting in protein, I use unjury unflavored, vitamins and water was the best I could do. I can still not stand certain smells and I am 6 months out. I can smell the grease from McDonalds which is across the street from my job which makes me gag. It's a big adjustment, but things will get better, I promise.

Hey Jessica- I had the same problem with the B complex, you should check with your Dr., like Tom my Dr. asked that I take the B12 and Multi and we can add the Complex when I can tolerate it!! Good Luck dear!!:D

My doctor prescribed me a new tablet cherry flavor to put under my tongue and I am 3 months out of surgery I couldnt handle the b12 either. but this is working and I have been on it for a week.

Back