• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and finally starting

ccrensh1

Hi all,

my name is Carrielee. I’m 32, from TN. I’ve been overweight/obese since childhood and the weight keeps piling on as well as the co-morbid diagnoses. I was finally referred to Bariatric surgery earlier this year after an Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension diagnosis and just finally scheduled my initial consult. I’m scared and anxious and overwhelmed and questioning things but also don’t want to die early and that’s where I’m headed with things as they are so it’s time for a change.

Hello there!

Welcome to this community. I hope you are feeling better today.

Bariatric surgery can feel intimidating, but, if you are here, it means you have battled your own body for enough time to actually make an informed decision about this.

In my particular case, bariatric surgery was the best decision I have ever made for myself. It is not an easy way out, nor a magic solution, but is an extremely powerful tool for people that have been fighting a losing war against ourselves.

However, I believe it is best to address your specific fears and anxieties. You should, of course, always listen to the medical professionals in your team, which are the most informed people to consult. That being said, the emotional journey and human side of this decision and subsequent process can be discussed with peers that have had similar experiences to yours. So, if I can be of any help, would you like to tell me what is it that scares you? What feels like the most overwhelming thing right now for you? Have you identified the root of your doubts? You do not need to answer any of those questions, but they might be a good place to start. If you are open to have a conversation about the things that bother you, I can always lend a sympathetic ear (or eye).

Be nice to yourself. You are doing the best you can every single day. That is enough. :)

Hi Carrielee, I understand it feels intimidating. You may want to find a mental health therapist in your area that you can meet with who can help you through the overwhelming feelings you have. It's good you have decided it is time for a change-now is a great time to equip yourself with as many supports as can help you.

Hi, Carrielee! Welcome to the group. I had they RnY in June of 2020, just days after my 50th birthday. I also had several co-morbidities, including diabetes. The day of surgery, it took everything I had not to leave the hospital when they called my name. I was so nervous!!

It is one of the best decisions I have ever or will ever make. I feel better than I have in decades!! My bloodwork and BP are normal and I am no longer diabetic. I just went hiking and rock climbing in Arizona last month. I never thought I would be able to do anything like that.

So, my advice is don't wait, debate or hesitate! This surgery can help you change your life.

Back