• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

new and have a few questions

beckykg

I had surgery about 6 weeks ago and have lost only 31 pounds. I know I need to walk more. I am trying to come to grips with my new way of eating. I am on stage 3 diet but I only eat 3-4 bites of food before I am full or start to feel sick. I know better than to eat sweets, cake or cookies but is this right? Am I supposed to be full this fast? I have had a lot of problems with vomiting if I don't eat slowly no matter how small the bites are. Is this what the rest of my life is going to be like? I am trying to reconcile myself to my new lifestyle. Please let me know if this is right. Thank you.

First off you are doing well. Second, it will get better. I started on ground up chicken and cottage cheese. It takes time. You will be able to eat more in time.

You are doing awesome, your still healing in time you will eat more, you need to learn your limit of fullness so you stop vomiting, even if it seems not enough you need to listen to your pouch , life will get better I promise, you will again have a big smile on your face :)

You really have to learn to experiment with foods. If you are not keeping them down, try something different. There's times when I can eat salad for several days and then for a few days I can't. There's lots of foods that do that. My doc says that some patients said that if they drink something cold in the morning then they have a hard time with food thru the day but if they drink hot/warm in the morning, they're ok. Everyone is different. But once you vomit, stay off that food for a few days and try it later. It's a HUGE learning experience so don't be afraid to keep trying different foods and try to not get frustrated ... your brain and your body are both learning how to make it work.

My surgeon says to eat your protein first to make sure you are getting enough of that but yes it is perfectly normal.

Back