• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and Need Advice

Trina B

Hi everyone I am just getting started with the whole procedure. Now that I have found a support group i have to call the weigh in number and start losing pounds. I must admit I am a little scared of how this will all play out. Any pointers or advice for someone in the very beginning stages?

Hi everyone I am just getting started with the whole procedure. Now that I have found a support group i have to call the weigh in number and start losing pounds. I must admit I am a little scared of how this will all play out. Any pointers or advice for someone in the very beginning stages?
Hi Trina and welcome. So your doctor has you calling in your weight? Is that because of the virus? My first step was cutting out carbs & diet soda. I had already been drinking a gallon of water a day for decades so I didn't need to work on that but if you aren't a water drinker, start ASAP.

Welcome Trina!

I've finished my 7 month process and am waiting for my turn at surgery now that they've started electives again. When I joined I started reading all the back posts not only to get to know the members but to also get the answers to my questions before I made a fool of myself and asked the same question again. Gosh, there is a whole lot of information in these posts.

Hi Trina and welcome. So your doctor has you calling in your weight? Is that because of the virus? My first step was cutting out carbs & diet soda. I had already been drinking a gallon of water a day for decades so I didn't need to work on that but if you aren't a water drinker, start ASAP.
Hi Brenda and thank you. No we have to call in our weight until we reach a goal and then we get scheduled for our surgery. I don't drink soda, my carb intake is pretty low. My meal intake is low and thats my problem...i don't eat enough in the day so my body thinks its starving. And I drink lots of everyday. Thank you for your advice. Do you use analog or digital scale to weigh yourself?

Welcome Trina!

I've finished my 7 month process and am waiting for my turn at surgery now that they've started electives again. When I joined I started reading all the back posts not only to get to know the members but to also get the answers to my questions before I made a fool of myself and asked the same question again. Gosh, there is a whole lot of information in these posts.
Wendy, thank you for that and congratulations on your successes. I think the hardest part is getting started.

Every doctor has different rules. My doctor didn't impose a weight loss amount only that I lose weight and don't gain any pre surgery. Of course the classes, test, and psych evals can be stressful the ultimate goal is your health. Just take it one day at a time. Took 10 months before I could have my surgery March 6th 2020. I had R&Y bypass. I have loss 71 pounds so far. Have had a few hiccups, but I wouldn't change a thing. Just remember to keep your head up and follow your surgeons advice. This is a very exciting time in your life. Wish you all the best. Good luck.

Every doctor has different rules. My doctor didn't impose a weight loss amount only that I lose weight and don't gain any pre surgery. Of course the classes, test, and psych evals can be stressful the ultimate goal is your health. Just take it one day at a time. Took 10 months before I could have my surgery March 6th 2020. I had R&Y bypass. I have loss 71 pounds so far. Have had a few hiccups, but I wouldn't change a thing. Just remember to keep your head up and follow your surgeons advice. This is a very exciting time in your life. Wish you all the best. Good luck.
Congratulations on your weight loss surgery and weight loss. Many thanks for you kind words.

Hi Brenda and thank you. No we have to call in our weight until we reach a goal and then we get scheduled for our surgery. I don't drink soda, my carb intake is pretty low. My meal intake is low and thats my problem...i don't eat enough in the day so my body thinks its starving. And I drink lots of everyday. Thank you for your advice. Do you use analog or digital scale to weigh yourself?
I use a digital scale. I want to see every fraction of a pound I loose. ;)

That is an AMAZING loss - 71 pounds in under 2 months??? All I can say is wow, congratulations!

Hmm, do they have you working with a nutritionist or dietitian in your program? He/she should be able to suggest ways to loose if your body is holding onto everything you eat because it thinks it's starving. I was also a 1 meal a day person pre-surgery but when I did eat dinner, it was always lots of carbs and fats.

If your program doesn't have you working with a nutritionist, find one ASAP. They should at least be able to make a referral.

Hmm, do they have you working with a nutritionist or dietitian in your program? He/she should be able to suggest ways to loose if your body is holding onto everything you eat because it thinks it's starving. I was also a 1 meal a day person pre-surgery but when I did eat dinner, it was always lots of carbs and fats.

If your program doesn't have you working with a nutritionist, find one ASAP. They should at least be able to make a referral.
I have met with a registered dietitian and Nike I know how to eat. Im just trying to find ways of eating more than one meal easy. It's a hard habit to break. I was eating one meal around 10 am..... which is my lunch time... my day typically starts around 2:30 am. I eat healthy other than that.

I have met with a registered dietitian and Nike I know how to eat. Im just trying to find ways of eating more than one meal easy. It's a hard habit to break. I was eating one meal around 10 am..... which is my lunch time... my day typically starts around 2:30 am. I eat healthy other than that.
Hi Trina! Getting those meals in can be hard when you are not in the habit of eating as often. I am almost 8 months post op and my dietician has me adding two additional meals into my daily intake... and when she said this I felt like I was a max capacity as it was, lol. Take it one meal at a time. I had to designate times for my meals so I knew they weren't too close together and that I was overeating at one meal to compensate for missing a prior meal. If you currently eat twice a day. Focus first on getting that third meal in. Then maybe a snack or small meal after that. Maybe use a protein shake as a gateway. If you are missing a meal, drink a shake in its place. By no means should you replace all meals with protein shakes just because of the ease of it, but when starting a new habit, it at least will have you adding sustenance to your body at a certain time daily so eventually you will be able to see it is time for this meal and then you can actually get some food at that time instead of drinking it. Figure out what works best for you and just take it one step at a time. Don't think you need to add several meals at once but give yourself a couple of weeks or a month to work your way up to where you need to be. Good luck with this!

Hi Trina! Getting those meals in can be hard when you are not in the habit of eating as often. I am almost 8 months post op and my dietician has me adding two additional meals into my daily intake... and when she said this I felt like I was a max capacity as it was, lol. Take it one meal at a time. I had to designate times for my meals so I knew they weren't too close together and that I was overeating at one meal to compensate for missing a prior meal. If you currently eat twice a day. Focus first on getting that third meal in. Then maybe a snack or small meal after that. Maybe use a protein shake as a gateway. If you are missing a meal, drink a shake in its place. By no means should you replace all meals with protein shakes just because of the ease of it, but when starting a new habit, it at least will have you adding sustenance to your body at a certain time daily so eventually you will be able to see it is time for this meal and then you can actually get some food at that time instead of drinking it. Figure out what works best for you and just take it one step at a time. Don't think you need to add several meals at once but give yourself a couple of weeks or a month to work your way up to where you need to be. Good luck with this!
Thank you for your inspiring words. Update is i am counting my calories now and putting them in my calorie counter which is making things much easier.

Hey there, before my surgery I would eat 6 ozs of protein then veggies and carbs. Lately I’ve been using Arbonne nutritional products and am doing good. They have a 30 day to healthy living program which is a good way to get into a good program. Overall I would say recommend proteins first.
Thanks Brent....I am currently eating about 3oz of protein and veggies with no carbs except natural ones.

hello everyone day one was looking through my check list and starting a support group was number five on my to do list. Due to the pandemic everything is on hold. I was able to go to the information meeting which opened my eyes of my options. 55 BMI left only one GBP. Waited 3 months to see the surgeon and two days before total shut down. Starting the diet portion per the nutritionist has been an issue of mind of matter. started to read past posts you are all giving me hope.

Well, you are certainly welcome in our support group. And if you are interested in starting a live and local group, there is a category on our forums about how to do that. But you're doing the right thing by reading through the posts because this group has been in existence for a really long time in there are thousands of posts and many of them will directly address your own interests and goals and experiences.

hello everyone day one was looking through my check list and starting a support group was number five on my to do list. Due to the pandemic everything is on hold. I was able to go to the information meeting which opened my eyes of my options. 55 BMI left only one GBP. Waited 3 months to see the surgeon and two days before total shut down. Starting the diet portion per the nutritionist has been an issue of mind of matter. started to read past posts you are all giving me hope.
Rach 1104 don't give up, Don't be discouraged I wasn't intrested in joining a support group either but not being sure what to do or how to do it knowing that I'm making mistakes because its the 1st time for me I need that support and so do you we're here for you. Im here for you while still trying to be here for myself.

Back