• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and need help

sdgirl

Just had my surgery 2 weeks ago. I know "everyone's different" and "give it time", etc, but dietitian and drs all said I would see about 5 lb loss a week.
I lost 1 last week.
What am I doing wrong? I am told to stay between 300-600 calories a day and the milk alone I am told to consume is 220 of that.
I am so frustrated and letdown. I was losing more before the surgery.
What kind of diet should I be doing 2 weeks out???
Thank you!!!!!

Welcome. Personally it’s really frustrating to hear doctors give an average of loss per week because you said it, everyone is different. We have different starting weights, different surgeries, and our bodies react differently depending on both. You’re still healing from surgery, might still be retaining water, so don’t get overly frustrated. You could drop a bunch all of a sudden because you’ve lost the water weight being held on from the operation. They do pump us full of liquids. Keep on your dietary track, and don’t lose hope.

Welcome. Personally it’s really frustrating to hear doctors give an average of loss per week because you said it, everyone is different. We have different starting weights, different surgeries, and our bodies react differently depending on both. You’re still healing from surgery, might still be retaining water, so don’t get overly frustrated. You could drop a bunch all of a sudden because you’ve lost the water weight being held on from the operation. They do pump us full of liquids. Keep on your dietary track, and don’t lose hope.
This is the best detailed document that I've seen so I appreciate you sharing. I haven't had surgery yet so I may receive something similar from my surgical team however this gives me a way better idea of what I'm facing than what I have been given thus far.

You are not doing anything wrong if you are following the guidelines you've been given,and I guarantee that your body composition is changing no matter what the scale reads. I'm not sure you've been given the best guidelines, but there is a lot of potential flux with body weight in the first month due to hydration levels, body adjustments and such. What you are experiencing is normal for many people. Don't stress about it.

300 calories is incredibly low. I'm not sure you could actually get the necessary protein in your body on just 300 calories. 500-600 is probably a decent ballpark to shoot for at 2 weeks.

Generally many people start purees after two weeks. You do that for two weeks, then add soft foods for two weeks and then start adding regular food little by little. Some programs are slightly different, but that is the standard recommendation. Did you get a plan from your surgical team?

If you calories are too low, your body may response by slowing down your metabolism. There are limits to how fast we can push things as our bodies are not designed to lose weight.

There is great variation in how fast people see change on the scale. For the first 3 months, give or take, you'll probably be eating less than 800 calories, and without a doubt, if you do that, stay hydrated, and start incorporating movement and exercise, you will see progress.

Stick to it, stay positive and keep going forward!

My surgical team had me on full liquid for week 2 and 3. In addition to all clear liquids, his included protein shakes, strained cream- style soups, , pudding, no sugar added yogurts, If you were on a liquid diet for 2 weeks pre-op, you body could've decided you're starving and put a hold on weight loss. There are lots of posts on here about the 3 week stall, including mine lol . You're a little early. That's it. Keep doing what your team told you to do and the weight will come off.

300 calories a day sounds like medical malpractice to me. Leave town, find another bariatric program, ask for a qualified second opinion.

Back