• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and nervous

Hello everyone! My name is Sara, I'm 30 yrs old and I will be getting gastric bypass surgery on 6/17/2020. At my heaviest I was 400lbs, currently I am at 305lbs looking to reach a goal weight of 150lbs. I am slightly nervous but I know I am making the right decision for me.
Welcome Sara, I'm very happy for you that you've decided to take control of your weight, and at 30... perfect time. Congratulations on your already huge loss of 95 pounds! Great job. Please look around the site, there is a ton of information and experiences here that you can learn from. Whatever you're doing, keep it up and the 17th will be here before you know it!

Welcome!! Your weight loss so far is such an awesome accomplishment! I am 37, and I’ll have my surgery in about 3 months. You are taking such a brave and amazing step towards better health. It’s totally normal to be nervous about this. Your life is changing but for the best. That’s not to say there won’t be hard or difficult times because as you’ll find here, all the members who have gone through the surgery, even with the best outcomes, have had some type of struggle. But with support, all struggles can be overcome. You’ll find a lot of very helpful people here.

Welcome!! Your weight loss so far is such an awesome accomplishment! I am 37, and I’ll have my surgery in about 3 months. You are taking such a brave and amazing step towards better health. It’s totally normal to be nervous about this. Your life is changing but for the best. That’s not to say there won’t be hard or difficult times because as you’ll find here, all the members who have gone through the surgery, even with the best outcomes, have had some type of struggle. But with support, all struggles can be overcome. You’ll find a lot of very helpful people here.

Thank you so much! Congrats on your surgery! I'm very excited to find this forum, my mom had a gastric bypass back in 2001, and she gained all of her weight back and I think it was mainly in part to not having any support, so I'm lucky to find you all!

Welcome Sara, I'm very happy for you that you've decided to take control of your weight, and at 30... perfect time. Congratulations on your already huge loss of 95 pounds! Great job. Please look around the site, there is a ton of information and experiences here that you can learn from. Whatever you're doing, keep it up and the 17th will be here before you know it!

Thank you so much! I look forward to getting to know you all, and gathering as much knowledge as I can!

I've read that a lot of people were in a lot of pain. That was not my experience at all. I was up and walking around the day after my surgery. i do think i have a fairly high level of pain tolerance but what i did was made sure that i stayed on a steady rotation of tylenol and pain medicine. i really only had the pain medicine at the hospital and the day after because i don't like how pain meds make me feel.

Welcome to the group Luisa. Which surgery did you have? It is scary wondering if it is worth it.... but give it some time and you will be able to not only feel that it is worth it, but see that it is worth it. Let us know how your journey progresses :)

Back