• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and not feeling so great.

Hello all. I had laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery a week ago - I am hitting all my water intake goals and almost there on my protein (my nutritionist said to prioritize the water). I am feeling dizzy, getting hot flashes, very very weak and brain foggy. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Hello all. I had laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery a week ago - I am hitting all my water intake goals and almost there on my protein (my nutritionist said to prioritize the water). I am feeling dizzy, getting hot flashes, very very weak and brain foggy. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

There isn't a cookie-cutter recovery model because each of us is physically different from the next person. But it sounds like you're doing really well. Way to hit your water goals! That will help in so many ways, including accelerating weight loss. Your weak/foggy response is probably related to anaesthetics, but also probably a response to a sudden drop in excess sugar. It will pass. It would be best for you just to rest, as you have been doing, and let yourself heal gently. Great job!

If you have any issues, even if the seem minor, you should always mention them to your bariatric team

That being said, you're getting very few calories, which can lead to the symptoms you mention. Lower levels of caffeine, salt, sugar and even carbs also cause various side effects when stopped quickly.

You will feel better soon. You had major surgery only a week ago. Rest and heal. Good luck.

Hi and welcome! I am about 5 months out from my surgery. That's great you are meeting your daily water and protein goals! Be sure to get a lot of rest and if you can muster the energy, walk around your residence and around the block each day. I did have a time where I went to the local pharmacy and felt very dizzy. Your medical team will be happy if you check in with them about any medical questions that pop up. I also had a hiatal hernia, and I'm 50, and recovery took me a while. I had very little energy but I would force myself to go out for a walk and then rest the remainder of the day. You are only 1 week out, please do take it easy and it will get a little easier as each week passes.

Hi and welcome! I am about 5 months out from my surgery. That's great you are meeting your daily water and protein goals! Be sure to get a lot of rest and if you can muster the energy, walk around your residence and around the block each day. I did have a time where I went to the local pharmacy and felt very dizzy. Your medical team will be happy if you check in with them about any medical questions that pop up. I also had a hiatal hernia, and I'm 50, and recovery took me a while. I had very little energy but I would force myself to go out for a walk and then rest the remainder of the day. You are only 1 week out, please do take it easy and it will get a little easier as each week passes.
Did you have the hernia after surgery or did they find it during the surgery?

Back