• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and starting the process

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group and I'm just starting the process to have Gastric Sleeve Surgery. I have been married for seven years and have three wonderful teenagers. I have really struggled with having this surgery but like most people if not all I have done everything and it has failed. So I came to the decision seven months ago that surgery was my only option out there. I know that this is a lifestyle change and I'm ready for it and I have been ready for it for years. So with alot of research and talking with friends that had it done and other people I deceided it was time to do this. My family is being very supportive but really how much support can they give if they don't know extactly what I have to do to make the change not just for me but for us. So I'm reaching out now to get the support of people that have gone through the surgery and really see how it has effected them and their loved ones and what to expected down the road in the next couple of months when I have my surgery.

Hi Jackierowley and welcome to the forum. This is a great place to get information and connect with others who do understand what you are going through and have had the same questions that you do.
I'm 7 months post sleeve and pretty much at goal. The previous 7 months have been the Honeymoon Period where you just follow instructions and the pounds disappear like magic. Now the hard part begins-maintenance. They told me I could eat just about anything, but I know I can't. I need to stay away from sweets and most simple carbs like bread, rice and pasta. I've been struggling with carbs all along- not the previous mentioned ones, but the "good" carbs- trying to stay inside my 100 Gm per day limit. It's hard when you want to eat a whole apple and raisins with your oatmeal. These things aren't bad, but you can reach your goal very quickly after you expand your menu from meat and a vegetable, which is pretty much all I ate from week 5 to the present.
Anyway, you're right about nothing else working for you as far as weight loss. This is a great tool and can lead to permanent weight loss, but it is also a lifelong process and it's not easy by any means. I think you'll be happy you did it, though. Please fill out the rest of your profile so we can get a better understanding of your stats.

:cool:Welcome, the lap band was a good fit for me. I am so glad I did it.i don't know if this happens with sleeve but all my cravings sweets, chips or any junk food disappeared not to long after the surgery. Good luck to you.

Welcome, the lap band was a good fit for me. I am so glad I did it.i don't know if this happens with sleeve but all my cravings sweets, chips or any junk food disappeared not to long after the surgery. Good luck to you.

Hi! I'm a newbie too. I'm also inquiring about the sleeve. I did the orientation and I will be meeting with the Doctor for my first consultation in 10 days. I know I have a long road ahead of me, but I think with the accountability I'll receive with the surgery itself and with my medical staff I think it will be achievable. I'm wishing you success!

Carina

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group and I'm just starting the process to have Gastric Sleeve Surgery. I have been married for seven years and have three wonderful teenagers. I have really struggled with having this surgery but like most people if not all I have done everything and it has failed. So I came to the decision seven months ago that surgery was my only option out there. I know that this is a lifestyle change and I'm ready for it and I have been ready for it for years. So with alot of research and talking with friends that had it done and other people I deceided it was time to do this. My family is being very supportive but really how much support can they give if they don't know extactly what I have to do to make the change not just for me but for us. So I'm reaching out now to get the support of people that have gone through the surgery and really see how it has effected them and their loved ones and what to expected down the road in the next couple of months when I have my surgery.

Welcome.

Good for you making a decision to make your life better, healthier and more. This will bring so many benefits to you.

Let me share some of my achievements; I love posting them.

This is a lot more than just simply losing weight (well not so simply is it?)

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless

I am still in pre op status. Still have 2 nutrition classes to attend, then set up the surgery date, i have already tried to cut back on carbs and incress my protein, but every now and then, we end up at a buffet and I am a goner.

Hi Jackie welcome to the group. I am now about 10 weeks post op from the sleeve. I am still struggling with a few things but, all in all it's going great. I am learning to get in all of my protein. It's still a struggle for me but I am working on it. My weight is a little slow moving because they say that I am in starvation mode because I can't eat enough. I am taking it one day at a time. It will be worth it. I would do it all over again. Keep coming back there is always new and great information available.

TillieS

Welcome, the lap band was a good fit for me. I am so glad I did it.i don't know if this happens with sleeve but all my cravings sweets, chips or any junk food disappeared not to long after the surgery. Good luck to you.
Yes, most of my cravings have gone away and when they come back they are much more manageable. I don't keep any of that stuff in the house. That helps.

I got rid of all the junk food too. I gave it to my brother I had sweet cakes, chips, dip and popcorn it took 3 bags to hold it all. He said to me "u can't eat any of this" I said, "I could but want to lose this weight and that stuff got me to fat".

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and insight on what has worked for you. My first meeting is on Tuesday which is three hours. There are three modules before surgery. I'm looking at surgery by mid-July (fingers crossed).

Back