• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and surgery date upcoming. Just finished echo

Hello!! Which surgery are you having? How long ago did you start seeing your care team? What scares you about this? I was nervous, scared, excited the closer I got to surgery. Surgery day I was surprisingly cool as a cucumber. Even my blood pressure was more normal. The prospect of surgery is scary. The prospect of changing eating habits, losing out on foods I’ve always love, and mentally shifting patterns can be even more daunting. But for me, I kept thinking about the more important things that I was missing out on, and the prospect of missing more because of my inability to be active due to my weight. Yesterday I told my husband, “I’ve been eating whatever I’ve wanted however I’ve wanted for 38 years. The next 38 will be more about self care. After that, I’ll be old enough to live how I want.” LOL

It's normal to have anxiety about this whole process, please don't feel like you are alone. Try to think of it as a journey and journey's can be pleasantly exciting. Focus on all the positives. You are doing this for the right reasons, keep those thoughts with you! I wish you all the best!

Please help me thru this. Just completed last step (cardiologist). Will get surgery date next week. SCARED

Hi Cy!

Welcome to the group! What surgery are you having?

Anything new is often scary. It's normal. If you're this close to surgery - your doing everything in your power to get there! That's truly wonderful.

Follow your surgical teams instructions - surgery is the first tool to get you started - the rest will be up to you. They have an eating plan you should follow - it's in place to help you achieve your ultimate goal and learn how to live a healthier life.

I'd also suggest going through the posts on this site and reading them. They are truly filled with a lot of helpful suggestions - ideas - recipes and such. I'll also suggest that if your have questions - comments - issues - concerns - talk to your surgical team. They are there to help you during this journey.

Best of luck to you!

Back