• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New & Deciding

Hi there!
Newbie here! I go for my follow up to the surgeon this Friday. I believe it is the day that we schedule the Gastric Sleeve Surgery. I'm almost 100% sure I am going to go through with the surgery, but still a bit scared.
I have PCOS and Severe Sleep Apnea. I am 41 241lbs 5'6". With 2 daughters, 9 & 11, I worry about taking this drastic a step as every surgery has its risks... but after trying and failing for 10 + years I just don't see myself succeeding with weight-loss with out the help of the sleeve.
I work from home at a desk job, but wondering how life will be after the sleeve. From now till July is a very busy time for me work wise. I can afford to take about a week off but that is it. Should I wait to schedule till after July or should I be okay doing it sooner?
Thanks for any advice!
Jess

Welcome Judy!
I had a sleeve surgery at the end of January and was back at work in a week with a job that involves a lot of sitting, then standing and walking, then sitting again- no heavy lifting, lots of computer work. My surgery center advised 1 month off, and I just didn't tell them. I could have gone back as soon as 5 days out. For me, the immediate post recovery weeks got a little boring - sip sip sipping liquids, a little tired, minor pain - did not want to just sit around a watch TV but did not have my normal energy. Work was a nice distraction and having that regular routine helped me. I had to be very regimented about drinking fluids at work - it was easy to just keep working and forget to drink, but otherwise, for me, going back to work felt great.

Back