• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New guy from PA

jam961

Hi, my name is john from Pittsburgh PA. I am just starting to begin my process of looking in to getting a gastric bypass. I am 42 years old, I work in the broadcasting field, and I am very unhappy with what I see looking back at me in the mirror lately. I did have a pretty bad stroke 2 years ago, and I was wondering if they let you have the surgery having had the stroke?

Hey John, FYI-I had a gastric bypass last may 20,2011..Weighed 235lbs...now I weigh 130 lbs...I am 47 yrs old, I also was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis(11 yrs ago) so glad I had the bypass. I feel wonderful. The only thing I do not like is when I first had the surgery and up until apprx. 9 months, I was NEVER HUNGRY...I loved that feeling. But now I'm hungry again...So now of course I don't like being hungry again, but I will learn to deal with it and control it. My advise to you is "have the surgery a.s.a.p" it is worth it...GOOD-LUCK....Lee

HI Jam961 John

have you been to a weight loss seminar yet? If you haven't that is something you can probably get those ? answered there, but most importantly your DR.should know because he or she has all your medical history and the w/l surgery is suppose to be a tool to help us get to a healthy weight and help us avoid further health complications. I assume you too like me have high blood pressure. that is one of the things that the surgery is suppose to correct. I think because our diet changes so much and as we loose the weight our body blood pressure adjust's & we no longer have many health issues like diabetic, high cholestrol etc.
I am still on my journey, I see surgeon's office next week, I began this journey in Jan, 2012. They have you get blood work, see a physical therapist, psyhcology test,nutrionist & surgeon and go to support group meetings. Have you found any bariatric support groups in your area? usually the hospital where you are having surgery will tell you of support groups they are apart of.
everybody's insurance co. has it's own set of rules of what has to be done to be accepted. That is something is ask up front, for it's not cheap to get this surgery. Some make you diet 6 months & do classes beforehand.
But there are so many wonderful success stories on this site and people are so great about trying to help you find the answers to your questions. They're are days when I think all I do is ask ? on here.
But the best part about this room is, "you are accepted as you are" & everybody is on the same page, wanting better health & some have already reached there goal and others are beginning there journey.
ask away someone will always respond and it will make the journey easier, at least it has for me to know others care and are willing to help you, for dr. nurses are too busy sometimes to answer each and every question. I've found alot of info. on internet and here .
hang in there.
Donna

Hi John, Wecome. I woulden't think having had a stroke would be a factor in not alowing the surgery but like Donna said that can easily be answered by either your primary care physician and/or at a weightloss seminar if there is one in your area. Medical factors like High BP, colestorol and morbid obisity are resons for my doctor to refer me for the WLS other factors include diabetes and sleep apnea, which aftyer surgery most of these can go away. I wish you luck and I hope yourr doctor has good news for you on the results if you can have WLS. Let us know. :cool: Tom

Hi John!

I am also from Pittsburgh PA and also starting my weight loss surgery journey. I just got an appointment for my initial consult with the surgeon. So I am terrified and excited all at the same time. I am 5'3 and tip the scales at 465. My BMI is 70 + and there are many days when I can't stand being in my own skin, so I understand what you mean about being unhappy. I went to an information session at the hospital I will be using and they have a whole section on previous medical conditions including stoke heart attacks and cancer. I do not think you having a strokeU is a factor so you should be good to go! I went to 3 different hospital sessions until I found the facility that I liked the best. I would suggest you do the same. They will put you at ease and stir up some questions and emotions that need to be dealt with before you say "ok I'm doing this". Please keep me posted on your journey. Well get through this together! Take care and I hope this helped!

Back