• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Here, Hiiiiiiiiii everyone-Waves

MrsMoreno

Hi everyone, just came across this site, in need of looking for some support and some friends that can relate. I am a recent gastric sleeve. Surgery 8/17/15 and had it done in Mexico-traveled from Florida to there, self paid. Great experience from my travels, physician, service and coordinators. No regret in that aspect. I am on week 4 of my diet plan. Having a bit of a hard time, trying to consume everything that I am suppose to, but I know it takes time. I have been logging my liquids and food intake (liquid food & soft food). I have been having some ups and downs in my mood, even the thought of wishing I never should have done this. But I know its all a mental game, its just life is a bit weird right now, with post op dieting and ensuring all the intake. And honestly, some fear. I don't want to push myself and I don't want to accidently hurt myself. I feel I am turning a bit OCD re: watching and trying to calculate exactly how much I am actually consuming.
How do you measure in a sense of calories, protein, etc... off a few bites?
I don't want to live on straight vitamins and protein shake in order to get my daily needs.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Don't worry too much, it takes time to be able to eat a variety of allowable foods. Your body needs your vitamins and supplements and only a small amount of food at this point in time. Keep hydrated, sip, sip, sip!

I am a gastric bypass patient, my new stomach size was only 2 oz. Sleeve patient's stomach pouch size is usually 2-4 oz. So you won't fit a lot of food in there. You don't want to stretch it out. This is how you will drop your weight. Eat your protein first. At this point in time flakey white fish, tuna and salmon are excellent. They are nutritious, and easy to digest. Mix with mayo or miracle whip and I was allowed to eat on a cracker. Yummy especially after having been on a liquid diet.. Lol another favorite I liked was mixing a spoonful of applesauce with a spoonful of cottage cheese. I really appreciated the tastes of simple foods after drinking my food for 2 wks after surgery.

It took me over a year so eat more than 2 oz at a time, when you fill up your pouch you will feel full like you ate Thanksgiving dinner!

Good luck!

Cheyenne

Welcome to the forum. :D And glad to hear you did well on your surgery. OCD wow I have had that for awhile years but haven't had my surgery yet so I hope that don't act up. lol.. We know how that goes. Over thinking right? I do. But don't let that or anything else get you down. You are doing great. I think we just have to learn how to do exactly what you said off a few bites. And if you don't want to live off of straight vitamins and protein shakes then don't learn and read and do what you did hear ask. I will have to ask a nutriontist because I don't even know how to cook very good. Ask my hubby. lol. I will learn. Hope all is going well.

Cheyenne,

Hope you are doing well. Sorry had problems with my leg and haven't been here for awhile. Missed reading your posts. You always put things that will be helping me soon and I want to thank you. The cottage cheese sound really good right about now. I am on the 2 week pre op liquid. Can't wait to have cream of wheat, oatmeal oh well I better not talk I will get hungry. But to the good part I have lost 7 pounds since Wed. the 9th that was day 1. I am happy. Hope all is well with you.

Talk soon!

Linda

Hi Linda!

You're very welcome! This forum really helped me when I was a newbie, so I just try to pass on what I learned. :)

Is your leg better? You will be having your bariatric surgery really soon now, just a few days. I'm so happy for you!!!

Losing 7lb already on your pre-op diet is awesome! You're doing sooo good!

Best Wishes,

Cheyenne

More important in the first 2 mos then worrying about food calories and protein is maintain hydration. Make sure you drink minimum of 16 oz a day in first few mos. and work up to 24 and 36 and so forth

Thank you Cheyenne. I am pleased. I just have to put the scale up and forget about that for a minute or two. lol I catch myself weighing at night and morning. Like I would have to for my CHF. But now its not and I have

to stop myself. lol Well I hope everyone is enjoying the last days of summer. Soon fall will be here :( . In Michigan that is a big thing. lol. Well have a wonderful night.

Best Wishes to all,

Linda

Hi MLE, Would that be like tea? I do not like water but I can do tea straight. Lots of tea. All day long tea.

Hope you are doing well.

Linda

Thank you Cheyenne. I am pleased. I just have to put the scale up and forget about that for a minute or two. lol I catch myself weighing at night and morning. Like I would have to for my CHF. But now its not and I have

to stop myself. lol Well I hope everyone is enjoying the last days of summer. Soon fall will be here :( . In Michigan that is a big thing. lol. Well have a wonderful night.

Best Wishes to all,

Linda

Lol.. I can't stop weighing myself. I am addicted to the scale. I weigh myself at least 6 times a day everytime I go in the bathroom for any reason. I even weigh in the middle of the night if I get up to potty. But it has it's advantages because I always know what I weigh.. Lol

Cheyenne

Congratulations on the beginning of your new life.

I have read all the responses above. I can only echo the exact same advice.

The critical issue in the first couple of months is hydration. As time goes by you will see that you will be able to achieve your protein objectives and your hydration objectives. As time goes by you will be able to add vegetables and other foods.

But do your best to stay in the plan. Right now, the protein shakes are vital to your well being.

Good luck

Back