• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Here - Struggling with regain...help & advice, please?

Hi Everyone! Had gastric bypass ten years ago. Lost over 200 pounds and felt great! However, over the years, injuries (that limited exercise) and the stresses of life eventually found me back at old bad habits to comfort myself. I gained almost half the weight back and I am miserable. I really could use support. If anyone wants a support buddy or would like to throw your two cents my way please let me know! I'm almost 54 and I just need to get this under control. Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the group! That's amazing that you were able to lose over 200 pounds. I totally understand how easy it is to get sidetracked and wind up back to old habits. I admit that I've had a slide this past month and had been struggling to regain my focus. Tomorrow brings June which is my surgery anniversary month and I told myself I need to get back to doing this right. I think the biggest part is getting my mind and my emotions in check. I'm going back to journaling and keeping my mind in tune to what I need to do. So I guess you can say, I am going back to basics. Maybe that is something you can do too?

Hi Judy, I typically start on Mondays....and first of the months...so June1st works in my head. Have to do things a bit differently, though, because typically I only last a week or so at best. I just have to get a handle on this. I know I need support. I'm trying not to be as rigid as I have been in previous attempts - my all-or-nothing, perfection thinking has not helped me at all. I'm eliminating all the usual suspects from my eating starting tomorrow and have made a first week goal of exercising at least three times. Sort-of baby steps. Looks like you've also done a great job! Congrats on the hard work!

Welcome! What are your biggest eating triggers? Just like with any addiction, there’s something that triggers all of us to backslide. I’m not an emotional eater, I actually won’t eat when I’m stressed or upset, then I tend to overeat when I finally realize I haven’t ate. I’m only 7 months out, so my stomach doesn’t have the room to do that, but it doesn’t stop me from starting with a cookie instead of protein. Sugar is my trigger, and I crave it terribly during times of stress. Once I start, I have a hard time stopping, and I haven’t experienced dumping syndrome, so I don’t have that to stop me. I have to stop myself. I do honestly track my food though. If I have cookies, ice cream, or any treat, I track it. We’re going through the transition into summer in my house, so kids ending the virtual school year from hell into the chaos of no real summer schedule. That stresses me because I like a schedule. But I know that about myself, so I’m trying to prepare, trying not to buy sugary treats that I say are for the kids, and I just know I need to do better about it. Some weeks when I grocery shop I don’t buy anything naughty, and some weeks I do. I know that I have to adjust my mindset around the fact that other people can eat those treats, and sure I can have one every once in a while, but I shouldn’t try and justify them or say I earned them. Once I deny myself long enough then that’s when I want to have 5 instead of just one. It’s a hard mental commitment, that’s why WLS isn’t the “easy way out”. It’s actually hard as hell but so worth it.

Hi Judy, I typically start on Mondays....and first of the months...so June1st works in my head. Have to do things a bit differently, though, because typically I only last a week or so at best. I just have to get a handle on this. I know I need support. I'm trying not to be as rigid as I have been in previous attempts - my all-or-nothing, perfection thinking has not helped me at all. I'm eliminating all the usual suspects from my eating starting tomorrow and have made a first week goal of exercising at least three times. Sort-of baby steps. Looks like you've also done a great job! Congrats on the hard work!

Thanks!

Baby steps are great because sometimes if you restrict yourself too much it can lead to a binge. One of the YouTubers that I really like is Erin Branscom My Level 10 Life. Check it out, you may find it helpful.

Welcome! What are your biggest eating triggers? Just like with any addiction, there’s something that triggers all of us to backslide. I’m not an emotional eater, I actually won’t eat when I’m stressed or upset, then I tend to overeat when I finally realize I haven’t ate. I’m only 7 months out, so my stomach doesn’t have the room to do that, but it doesn’t stop me from starting with a cookie instead of protein. Sugar is my trigger, and I crave it terribly during times of stress. Once I start, I have a hard time stopping, and I haven’t experienced dumping syndrome, so I don’t have that to stop me. I have to stop myself. I do honestly track my food though. If I have cookies, ice cream, or any treat, I track it. We’re going through the transition into summer in my house, so kids ending the virtual school year from hell into the chaos of no real summer schedule. That stresses me because I like a schedule. But I know that about myself, so I’m trying to prepare, trying not to buy sugary treats that I say are for the kids, and I just know I need to do better about it. Some weeks when I grocery shop I don’t buy anything naughty, and some weeks I do. I know that I have to adjust my mindset around the fact that other people can eat those treats, and sure I can have one every once in a while, but I shouldn’t try and justify them or say I earned them. Once I deny myself long enough then that’s when I want to have 5 instead of just one. It’s a hard mental commitment, that’s why WLS isn’t the “easy way out”. It’s actually hard as hell but so worth it.
Hi and thanks for responding to me! I am an emotional eater big time! I also use eating to procrastinating things I don't want or like to do. I've reverted back to using food for lots of things not remotely related to being hungry. I also have an all-or-nothing mentality which doesn't serve me well with trying to eat better. One slip and I'm ruined for the day and possibly the week. I'm just trying to take small steps and focus on one day at a time right now. That, and prepare for a potential slip-up so I don't go nuts this time.

Thanks!

Baby steps are great because sometimes if you restrict yourself too much it can lead to a binge. One of the YouTubers that I really like is Erin Branscom My Level 10 Life. Check it out, you may find it helpful.
I will check EB out. I need all the support I can get. Started fresh this morning. I've had a cup of coffee and two cups of water. Going to have a few eggs for breakfast and then have a walk planned with my son. Focusing just on today as much as possible. Thank you for your help!!

Carpice, you are on your way. Incredible weight loss already, you can get back on track. You know what you are doing.
I love what you said about the "usual suspects" and getting them out of the house. We all know what they are. I was stalled and I removed them too and now I got the scale moving again, the candy, the baked goods, the Skinny Cow bars (of course I eat 3 because they are only 100 calories, may as well eat a Dove bar). I am terrified of backsliding too, and I am more terrified of losing the restriction in my stomach.
We have so much mental work to get done, I am so glad you all are out there to share your ideas/tips/struggles. I can certainly relate.

Carpice, you are on your way. Incredible weight loss already, you can get back on track. You know what you are doing.
I love what you said about the "usual suspects" and getting them out of the house. We all know what they are. I was stalled and I removed them too and now I got the scale moving again, the candy, the baked goods, the Skinny Cow bars (of course I eat 3 because they are only 100 calories, may as well eat a Dove bar). I am terrified of backsliding too, and I am more terrified of losing the restriction in my stomach.
We have so much mental work to get done, I am so glad you all are out there to share your ideas/tips/struggles. I can certainly relate.
I can eat 3 Carb Smart bars on the way home from the grocery store! I shouldn't sound so happy about that... Well, today I went for a walk, went to the store, and for the first time in months didn't buy any sweets or ice cream or any of the other foods I can't control myself around. Drinking water and sticking to mostly protein today. I did have a caesar salad from Wendy's and it was good! Day one is almost in the books. :)

Hi, Caprice and welcome to the group. I think this is a great place for support, whether you're a week out or 10 years. I personally always start by suggesting weighing/measuring tracking your food. I know we all like to think that we know what we're eating and how much. Maybe some do. I do not, so that's my trick. I also hope you can get away from the "diet" mentality. Trying to learn balance in our eating is a huge challenge. I wish you luck. Also, great job on losing so much and keeping so much of it off.

I can eat 3 Carb Smart bars on the way home from the grocery store! I shouldn't sound so happy about that... Well, today I went for a walk, went to the store, and for the first time in months didn't buy any sweets or ice cream or any of the other foods I can't control myself around. Drinking water and sticking to mostly protein today. I did have a caesar salad from Wendy's and it was good! Day one is almost in the books. :)

Yay! Glad you made a good choice at Wendy's and the rest of the day you did great too! My day went well and it feels good to restart!

I also hope you can get away from the "diet" mentality. Trying to learn balance in our eating is a huge challenge.

Never Say Die...t! So, so true, Missy, and the single best piece of advice anyone can give or receive. Food can be beautiful and delicious and savored and good to your body... or you can use it as a weapon and hurt, disfigure, immobilize and destroy you.

A friend in AA once told me how a drunk will try to "drink at you" in order to hurt you. It's exactly the same with food.

I LOVE FOOD, I love eating, prepping, designing, serving--everything but washing the dishes. I take inspiration from the Japanese, whose art in every medium is beautiful.

There's no sin, no crime, except in gluttony.

Check out my food beauty shots: Pictures added by dianeseattle

Hmmm, I didn't mean to make it sound like this is a diet for me. It's getting back to eating in a healthy way. I know these first days/week(s) will be hard, but if I can work through them then passing up something I know will make me sick or not feel good (on top of gaining weight) is a win. I have a very hard time with moderation, but it is something I will work on improving. So far today, I've had eggs, turkey bacon, greek yogurt, and a cup of coffee, along with 2 big glasses of water. One day at a time. ;)

Hi Caprice,
In case you didn't see it, I sent you a message in your inbox here in this forum. I was just checking in to see how you were doing.

Back