• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Here

Welcome, Beth. If you have specific questions, use the search icon up in the right corner.

Many members have listed their food consumption, so you might search all the archived posts by keyword, like "eat" or "sugar" or "protein," just to name a few. There are also exact diets listed below, in our resource section. But you should understand that what works for one person won't work for another. You must have been given a list of post-op suggestions after surgery. If you can't locate it, you can search through the posts using any particular food that appeals to you or makes you feel sick.

This isn't a diet group per se, but a support group, so jump on in and tell us more about what you're going through.

And everyone has trouble with post-op gain. There's almost always a reason for it, like being sedentary or sneaking treats. I'd advise you to start a food journal right now, and list every CRUMB of food that goes into your mouth. Also, get a food scale so you can measure food by weight, and accurate measuring cups and spoons, and use them every time.

One of the best old adages people have trouble with is chewing each bite of food at least 30 times. And put your fork and spoon down between bites. I don't recommend Weight Watchers except for the fact that they've been really good about helping people identify portion sizes. Like, 3 ounces of chicken is about the same size as a deck of cards.

People also use sugar substitutes is fine, but I prefer eating foods without needing a sweetener. Things like apples and even a plain piece of toast can be very satisfying.

Good luck and again, welcome.

Hi, Beth. Welcome to the group. I had the bypass in June2020. I am currently between 5- 10lbs over my "new normal", which lasted for almost 2 years. I keep having to rein myself in.

I 100% agree with Diane regarding measuring and tracking your intake. I try to do it at least 4 days a week. Otherwise I end up out of control. I can eat more than I should and I also don't really get negative effects from sugar or fat. So, I can very easily end up eating WAY too many calories.

I was hoping to have surgery and just magically eat like a " normal" person. But, it turns out that most normal people ALSO have to watch what they eat. Everyone can (and has) eaten too much. I am going to have to be aware of that for the rest of my life. I am probably also going to have tho measure out correct serving sizes forever as well.

I really love food. But, I am going to have to love me more. Self care is more than massages and pedicures. And eating a cinnamon roll only gives me enjoyment for a moment. Being truly healthy pays dividends I might not feel today but I'll feel them for years to come.

Back