• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here

Mumma23

I'm new to everything. I had an endoscopy on 8/21 and was referred to a bariatric doctor. Saw him the next week, he is going to schedule me on 11/7 and should be 3 weeks after that. I did my mental health eval and have scheduled my dietician meetings. First one is the 19th of September. I'm not doing this to lose weight, my diaphragm is failing and I have a severe hiatal hernia. The weight loss is going to be a bonus to me, I'm not scared, just curious how others get their families to understand. Thanks in advance.

In your case it is not for weight loss surgery so im not sure what there is for your family to understand. If this is a medically needed surgery for your diaphragm and hiatal hernia what would be their issue with this?
Agree totally.

If eating differently feels funny for you and your family, resolve to be patient with the adjustment. You have time to educate them on your needs aftr dietician appts and before your procedure to get used to the idea. There will be a recovery period after surgery that everyone involved is often agreeable to. For me, I sometimes can sit at the table while they eat, I've cooked a whole meal for them even if I don't intend to eat any of it, or when I am not hungry and want to talk, other times I don't get involved with the family meal at all for various reasons. Your health is worth any adjustments to routine. Take it slow and talk about what to expect with your family as you are learning so everyone is learning together and included in the process.

Back