• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here

Hi: I'm new to this site but I am excited that I found it!! I had my gastric bypass surgery on January 6, 2014 and I am still on the soft diet, There is so much left out though - like is crab meat okay? Lite mayo? and such. Anyway, I'm glad I'm here!!!

Hi: I'm new to this site but I am excited that I found it!! I had my gastric bypass surgery on January 6, 2014 and I am still on the soft diet, There is so much left out though - like is crab meat okay? Lite mayo? and such. Anyway, I'm glad I'm here!!!

WELCOME to the Forum!!! Which kind of surgery did you have?

I was allowed all condiments, including mayo, catsup, my favorite Miracle Whip at 4 wks post surgery. I was also allowed tuna, salmon and white flakey fish that week also. Wouldn't crab meat be white and flakey? Just eat small amounts slowly. I was fine with eating it and digested it well but everyone may not. I ate my tuna and salmon mixed with miracle whip and spred on a cracker. I wasn't allowed to eat bread at that time and it still doesnt digest well for me even now at 7 1/2 months post op. Thats okay though cause I'm really not a bread person.

Good Luck!!!

Cheyenne

Thanks Cheyenne: That helps a lot. I spend most of my time keeping track of fluids and protein, neither of which I get enough of. But, I'm feeling fine so that must mean something. Thanks again.

Hi! I am also new here. Tonight is my first night on here. Had my surgery on Nov. 25, 2013. I am also very excited to see what everyone has learned and to get ideas.

Yes it is. I also am excited to speak with others and get their take on everything. Saw your comment earlier and I have eaten Light Miracle Whip since I could eat tuna.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Crab meat should be OK, but mayonnaise? Check the fat and caloric content. Yikes! I add plain yogurt to things that need a little lubrication to get down. Or if I make tuna salad, I'll use 1 part light mayo to 3 parts plain yogurt.

Hi Lawdawd5295, and Pamelrose,

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of great people and great info here.

TillieS

Hi Cheyenne. You still feel good most of the time?

Hi Pamelarose, I actually feel really great, even though I have on again, off again gallbladder problems. I have an appointment to see my surgeon in a week. My knees are bone on bone but I will get that fixed soon, too.

I am so happy, and thankful for my bariatric surgery.. when I sit down, I can actually see half of the top part of my thighs. My tummy used to be in the way. Yesterday I cut my own toenails. I can walk down and up the 10 steps on the side of my house. I no longer need my bi pap machine. I no longer need to sleep with oxygen. I feel so much better and happier than I have felt for years! I still have many pounds to go to get to goal weight, I can't imagine how I will feel when that happens. I could go on and on about all the reasons I feel so good and feel so happy. Simple things like being able to get into the bathtub and out again for my shower without fearing that I may fall. I wish I would have had this surgery years ago but I must be grateful for enjoying the present not regretting the past. I have always loved life but now I love it even more.

Cheyenne. :cool:

Cheyenne, I can cross my legs now. Haven't been able to do that in years!

Awesome Karenina! Isn't it just wonderful to be able to do things we havent been able to do for years? Its just amazing to me that I feel so much lighter and able to move about so much easier. I cant imagine how great I will feel after I lose another 100 lb and get my knees fixed. Heck I might be able to fly.. lol. :)

Cheyenne

Wow! Cheyenne, that is wonderful. You are such a positive person too. You are an asset to this site. I enjoy these small yet, "BIG" things too. I can cross my legs again. I have not had much time to enjoy some of the benefits yet because so much was going on in my life when I got the surgery and still is. I lost my job two months before the surgery was scheduled but told myself I was not letting it go. I paid outrageous amounts to keep my insurance to be sure I could get the surgery. I met the man of my dreams in May of 2013. He is totally supportive. He also has been struggling with finances and jobs. He has been working and I have not. I had shoulder surgery 2 1/2 weeks after my gastric bypass. My shoulder has been a bigger pain. I do usually heal well and have from the gastric bypass. So, I have been unable to do certain things with the shoulder but am still rehabbing it. I am doing my best to save my home and my boyfriend is helping me there. Things have come together enough that I finally had time to get on here and see how everyone else does it. I want to enjoy life to the fullest. I have grandkids I want to play with. I have so much left to do. How do you keep up the motivation? I get so busy with all the struggles around me, I don't find time for me. What is the secret?

Well you see you have been welcomed by so many already.

Well welcome from me too!

You will do fine. I am happy you found this site.

There is so much to learn and experience. It is simply wonderful to be surrounded by people who have decided to take the same "life path" as you have taken.

Read all the post and learn as much as you can.

There are no questions that are off limits or silly or whatever. If you have a question, ask it.

Now , what you should also know is what foods will work for you or not in what quantities are a personal experience. We all tolerate or not tolerate different foods at different times in our journey. I hope your surgeon and his team gave you a plan, a menu plan, foods to have and foods to avoid already. Go back and study it. Then begin exploring at the appropriate time.

For instance, I have just added back to my program a small salad with oil and vinegar. I had to wait 3 months before I did this. Why? The stomach is on the mend. My surgeon recommended staying away from ruffage for the first three months. Now, he says go for it. You are healed.

Ralph

Ladies lets not forget about being able to see body parts we haven't seen in years unless we use a mirror, ;) ...

It is wonderful to be able to cross my arms behind my back, placing my right hand on my left hip and my left hand on my right hip....

I can also shoot a proper moon now days, just ask my husband. I think I kind of caught him off guard with that one, LMAO.. It was great to see his reaction....
Hey, I saw my ribs today AND I WAS STANDING UP! How great is that! I didn't even know I had ribs.

Wow! Cheyenne, that is wonderful. You are such a positive person too. You are an asset to this site. I enjoy these small yet, "BIG" things too. I can cross my legs again. I have not had much time to enjoy some of the benefits yet because so much was going on in my life when I got the surgery and still is. I lost my job two months before the surgery was scheduled but told myself I was not letting it go. I paid outrageous amounts to keep my insurance to be sure I could get the surgery. I met the man of my dreams in May of 2013. He is totally supportive. He also has been struggling with finances and jobs. He has been working and I have not. I had shoulder surgery 2 1/2 weeks after my gastric bypass. My shoulder has been a bigger pain. I do usually heal well and have from the gastric bypass. So, I have been unable to do certain things with the shoulder but am still rehabbing it. I am doing my best to save my home and my boyfriend is helping me there. Things have come together enough that I finally had time to get on here and see how everyone else does it. I want to enjoy life to the fullest. I have grandkids I want to play with. I have so much left to do. How do you keep up the motivation? I get so busy with all the struggles around me, I don't find time for me. What is the secret?
You have to remind yourself every day that THIS is the number one thing in your life, even if you can't give it your full attention. You can't let yourself get distracted by everything else that is going on. It helps to pre-plan your meals for the day, and then don't stick another thing in your mouth.

Hi Pamelarose,

Karenina's right, you have to remind yourself every day that you have to take care of yourself first. Plan your meals, stay in touch with us, your friends here who are on the same journey as you're on. With help from each other we will all arrive at our destinations, to be healthier, thinner and live longer, to have a better and happier life. Think about these things when your going to sleep at night, when your waking up in the morning. :) Stay positive, we will all be successful!!!

Cheyenne

Low sugar and low fat is the key.

These are the ingredients that can cause problems. It is very individual.

I had tuna salad and was fine. I had chicken and I was fine. I had a small piece of white bread and I was fine.

Then I had a 1/2 sandwich of chicken with mayo and it all came up. The combination of ingredients that in one case you tolerate can suddenly cause a problem. This is so personal.

Keep a journal of what you do well.

Back