• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Here!

I am joining the group for additional support and information. I am scheduled for the Gastric Sleeve procedure in a little more than a week. My top weight was 278, I am currently 214. My goal is 150 pounds.

I am excited and nervous about the surgery. I began the process initially in 2008. I rejoined the program in Oct 2014 and here I am April 2015 6 months later and finished with all of the pre-qualifications.

I had a thyroidectomy in 2013 and one of my concerns is how the synthroid will affect my weight loss after surgery. I also have reflux. Based on the increase in reflux symptoms with the sleeve I am praying I won't need any revision procedures. My choice for the sleeve is based on the procedure not causing the issues of malabsorption and the timing associated with weight loss.

Please keep me in your prayers. I look forward to interacting with the other support group members and appreciate your support already!

I am joining the group for additional support and information. I am scheduled for the Gastric Sleeve procedure in a little more than a week. My top weight was 278, I am currently 214. My goal is 150 pounds.

I am excited and nervous about the surgery. I began the process initially in 2008. I rejoined the program in Oct 2014 and here I am April 2015 6 months later and finished with all of the pre-qualifications.

I had a thyroidectomy in 2013 and one of my concerns is how the synthroid will affect my weight loss after surgery. I also have reflux. Based on the increase in reflux symptoms with the sleeve I am praying I won't need any revision procedures. My choice for the sleeve is based on the procedure not causing the issues of malabsorption and the timing associated with weight loss.

Please keep me in your prayers. I look forward to interacting with the other support group members and appreciate your support already!

WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Most everyone is nervous about surgery. That's perfectly natural. I certainly was and I procrastinated for 10 yrs before I decided to go for it. Surgery is so much safer now that it's standard procedure to use the laparoscopic technique. So much less invasive and minimal pain and healing time. You will do fine as long as you have done your homework on your surgeon and hospital. You should have a Bariatric Surgeon of Excellence and a Bariatric Hospital of Excellence.

Good luck to you. I will keep you in my prayers!

Cheyenne :cool:

I would SERIOUSLY reconsider sleeve with reflux!!! Reflux is very likely to get worse with the sleeve. Aside from that, I am on Synthroid, and it should not affect your surgery - keep your levels monitored, and the doc will adjust as needed.

Again, group, always check the date of a post before you inquire. Here's somebody who hasn't been here for four years. There are a whole bunch of us who have been here Faithfully for at least the last 6 months. I came here eight months ago and took two months off. But here I am right now ready to answer your question. And if you have questions about thyroid oh, don't ask a group like this for its experiences because hormones is hormones baby! Ask your endocrinologist or you're very very smart family doctor. There is no cookie-cutter answer to a thyroid question. However, having said that, your doctor's job is to balance your thyroid hormone to a normal level so you're just like everyone else. Then you don't need to even ask about thyroid anymore because having the hormone is as good as having the gland.

Back