• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here

Meranda

I am four days post op and everything is going great except I am having sharp pains on my lower left side. It goes away when I push in and when I let go it comes back even stronger. I’m moving gas along and up and moving even though I am very sore still. Could this be something else or still just gas? I am a big worrier.
I just transitioned from the gastric sleeve to the by pass because I kept hernias and my surgeon said I had to do this that he couldn’t keep replacing the hernias.
Any post op help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I am four days post op and everything is going great except I am having sharp pains on my lower left side. It goes away when I push in and when I let go it comes back even stronger. I’m moving gas along and up and moving even though I am very sore still. Could this be something else or still just gas? I am a big worrier.
I just transitioned from the gastric sleeve to the by pass because I kept hernias and my surgeon said I had to do this that he couldn’t keep replacing the hernias.
Any post op help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi Meranda! Congrats on the surgery! Sorry to hear you are having pains on the lower left side. I personally didn't experience that myself so I'm unsure if it is gas pain or something else. I feel like with gas pain it works itself out and pushing on the area doesn't necessarily help. I would reach out to the surgeon's office and discuss with them. They will be able to give you the best answers. Good luck and let us know what you find out :)

Hi Meranda! Congrats on the surgery! Sorry to hear you are having pains on the lower left side. I personally didn't experience that myself so I'm unsure if it is gas pain or something else. I feel like with gas pain it works itself out and pushing on the area doesn't necessarily help. I would reach out to the surgeon's office and discuss with them. They will be able to give you the best answers. Good luck and let us know what you find out :)
Thank you! I’m so excited about the surgery and just getting over this hump. I’ve been so sleepy and still in a little pain, but managing it without pain meds, which is great!! My friend saw me today and said I look really sad, I had to laugh because it’s just where I’ve been so tired. That pain still comes very very rarely now. I spoke with my surgeon and he told me if it happened again to immediately get to him, which is the plan. I go see him Monday To hopefully get my staples removed and my drain out. The staples are worse than anything I think lol, when you move they hurt. This is my first time ever having staples, all my other surgeries had stitches or nothing.
I love this group, there is so much information that I obviously missed before the surgery. I thought I had researched it better than I did. I’m glad to have found all of you! I go back to a eating class at my surgeons in two weeks, they focus more on the gastric sleeve which is unfair to me. I’m the only person in there that has had the gastric bypass, so I’m staying after this time and having her stay after and teach me more unlike how she did last time!
thank you so much for introducing yourself to me! I’m sorry I rambled lol. It’s nice to meet you all!!

I go back to a eating class at my surgeons in two weeks, they focus more on the gastric sleeve which is unfair to me. I’m the only person in there that has had the gastric bypass, so I’m staying after this time and having her stay after and teach me more unlike how she did last time!
Hi Meranda and congratulations on your surgery!

I'm glad the pain you were feeling subsided some.

I love that you're going to stay after at your nutrition class, you need to be your strongest advocate. Also be sure to discuss your vitamins/supplements. Requirements are very different for sleeve & RNY patients. Welcome and we are excited to share in your journey. :)

Hi Meranda and congratulations on your surgery!

I'm glad the pain you were feeling subsided some.

I love that you're going to stay after at your nutrition class, you need to be your strongest advocate. Also be sure to discuss your vitamins/supplements. Requirements are very different for sleeve & RNY patients. Welcome and we are excited to share in your journey. :)
I definitely am! I told my husband how much you all are teaching me and how little i learned from there and he said to thank you guys and he is going back with me next time too and making sure they answer all of our questions! I’m going to make a list before i go.

Thank you! I’m so excited about the surgery and just getting over this hump. I’ve been so sleepy and still in a little pain, but managing it without pain meds, which is great!! My friend saw me today and said I look really sad, I had to laugh because it’s just where I’ve been so tired. That pain still comes very very rarely now. I spoke with my surgeon and he told me if it happened again to immediately get to him, which is the plan. I go see him Monday To hopefully get my staples removed and my drain out. The staples are worse than anything I think lol, when you move they hurt. This is my first time ever having staples, all my other surgeries had stitches or nothing.
I love this group, there is so much information that I obviously missed before the surgery. I thought I had researched it better than I did. I’m glad to have found all of you! I go back to a eating class at my surgeons in two weeks, they focus more on the gastric sleeve which is unfair to me. I’m the only person in there that has had the gastric bypass, so I’m staying after this time and having her stay after and teach me more unlike how she did last time!
thank you so much for introducing yourself to me! I’m sorry I rambled lol. It’s nice to meet you all!!
That is great that the pain has mostly gone away and you are getting ready for your next nutrition class. I will say, they did my class with both Sleeve and RNY patients. I feel like there were very few areas where they focused only on one group and not the other. The big thing I remember was watching the sugar intake if you had RNY. I think I still have all of my paperwork at home. I will have to take a look tonight and see what tips I can pass on to you ;) Of course, as you have probably noticed, every dr and nutritionist seem to have varying advice so any information you get from us may not be what your dr would recommend. Crazy, but dr's program has been adapted to the version you are going through because of previous patients. It would be interesting to compare hospitals and their programs with others around the US/world. I wonder what the stats would show?

Of course, as you have probably noticed, every dr and nutritionist seem to have varying advice so any information you get from us may not be what your dr would recommend. Crazy, but dr's program has been adapted to the version you are going through because of previous patients. It would be interesting to compare hospitals and their programs with others around the US/world. I wonder what the stats would show?
That would be very interesting. It really surprises me how much doctors differ on all of this!

I talked with the bariatric coordinator at the hospital. She said their program has been tweaked over 14 years, with increasing levels of success. I bet that each program has looked at various options for the surgery, pre-op nutrition, pre-op BMI limits, pre-op nutrition, post-op nutrition, post-op exercise etc and chosen the mix that works for them. Combining the options from several programs may be a winning strategy, or could be dangerous. Please take the information you get here and talk with your surgeon and his nutritionist so that the various aspects are all in alignment.

I talked with the bariatric coordinator at the hospital. She said their program has been tweaked over 14 years, with increasing levels of success. I bet that each program has looked at various options for the surgery, pre-op nutrition, pre-op BMI limits, pre-op nutrition, post-op nutrition, post-op exercise etc and chosen the mix that works for them. Combining the options from several programs may be a winning strategy, or could be dangerous. Please take the information you get here and talk with your surgeon and his nutritionist so that the various aspects are all in alignment.
Definitely good advice Taxman! Above all, everyone needs to follow doctor's instructions.

That is great that the pain has mostly gone away and you are getting ready for your next nutrition class. I will say, they did my class with both Sleeve and RNY patients. I feel like there were very few areas where they focused only on one group and not the other. The big thing I remember was watching the sugar intake if you had RNY. I think I still have all of my paperwork at home. I will have to take a look tonight and see what tips I can pass on to you ;) Of course, as you have probably noticed, every dr and nutritionist seem to have varying advice so any information you get from us may not be what your dr would recommend. Crazy, but dr's program has been adapted to the version you are going through because of previous patients. It would be interesting to compare hospitals and their programs with others around the US/world. I wonder what the stats would show?
That would be really interesting! I would love to know what your says. I watch my sugar intake, but right now I’m on strict liquids. I’m hoping today I can start using my protein ❤️.

Back