• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here

Jmarie

Hey I’m new here. I just had lap sleeve gastrectomy two weeks ago. I am feeling ok just extremely exhausted and a little sore. I know this is normal. In the beginning I had a really tough time. I was second guessing my decision to have this surgery. But I keep reminding myself that I did this to be healthy. I’m struggling with hair loss. It does scare me a bit. But I am remaining positive. :)

Hey I’m new here. I just had lap sleeve gastrectomy two weeks ago. I am feeling ok just extremely exhausted and a little sore. I know this is normal. In the beginning I had a really tough time. I was second guessing my decision to have this surgery. But I keep reminding myself that I did this to be healthy. I’m struggling with hair loss. It does scare me a bit. But I am remaining positive. :)
Welcome to the group Jmarie! And congrats on your surgery :). It is a big step and there are bound to be moments where you wonder if you did the right thing. But the further away from the surgery you get, and the more ensconced you become with your "new normal", the less you will second guess your decision. As you start to see the difference this lifestyle change makes for you, if you are like most of us, the little consequences like hair loss won't seem as drastic. Use affirmations to remind you why you are doing this and focus on what your specific goals are. You will get there in no time. Good luck and keep us updated on your journey!

Welcome to the group Jmarie! And congrats on your surgery :). It is a big step and there are bound to be moments where you wonder if you did the right thing. But the further away from the surgery you get, and the more ensconced you become with your "new normal", the less you will second guess your decision. As you start to see the difference this lifestyle change makes for you, if you are like most of us, the little consequences like hair loss won't seem as drastic. Use affirmations to remind you why you are doing this and focus on what your specific goals are. You will get there in no time. Good luck and keep us updated on your journey!
Thank you! I keep reminding myself everyday that I did this to be healthy. I did this to have a healthy longer life. The first couple of days seemed rough. But everyday I am starting to feel better

I’m struggling with hair loss. It does scare me a bit. But I am remaining positive. :)
There are several schools of thought about this. I lost some of my hair, which was both thin and fine, and it was so depressing. But then I'd look in the mirror at the body with the fabulous clothes (and some without!) and the hair thing didn't bother me nearly as much.

I wear it short and Kramer-ish now, use a handkerchief around the forehead sometimes, and then, I also have a fabulous collection of hats, quite legit for Seattle weather. Almost everyone is always wearing a hat here, especially because it's thought a REAL Seattleite would never carry an umbrella!

I also bought a real human hair wig, which I wear for a goof (remember, I'm 68 years old!).

Mine is FINALLY slowing down and I have all sorts of little flyaway hair from regrowth. Thank goodness I have a LOT of hair! My hair girl checked to be sure that I don't have any actual spots where there is balding, and no one other than people that know me really well would even notice it is thin, so I am thankful for that.

Mine is FINALLY slowing down and I have all sorts of little flyaway hair from regrowth. Thank goodness I have a LOT of hair! My hair girl checked to be sure that I don't have any actual spots where there is balding, and no one other than people that know me really well would even notice it is thin, so I am thankful for that.
So far I don’t have any bald spots. I’m hoping once I hit the next stage of the diet it will start to slow down.

Hair loss after any major surgery is a common occurrence, and a lot of our members have said theirs grew back eventually. Mine didn't, but who cares? It was a real blow to me ego at first, but then I started thinking of all the men (including my ex-husband, who paid a fortune for transplants) who go through this every day and I remembered the big crushes I had on Herschel Bernardi and Woody Allen when I was a kid, and I got over it. There are many posts here about it and a few members who have regular hairdressers who cut their hair special to minimize any obvious losses.

And Ron Howard looks really good in a baseball cap!

I'm new here,and supposed to have gastric bypass in March. I have been having so much depression and anxiety about this. I worry about not being able to eat foods I like, but have read on here from you guys that tastes change ,so that makes me feel better. I also worry about the hair loss, and is there anything I can take to help with that? any supplements maybe? Also, I worry about having sagging skin after weight loss, especially on the already lower abdominal fat/skin that is already hanging. What do people do?

I had my gastric bypass surgery last November and yeah my tastes have changed especially with the premire protein shakes but I still have a burger nice n awhile lettuce wrapped and maybe only half a one. Don’t crave sugar that much anymore.As for the hair loss it hasn’t happened to me yet but if it does well got to deal with it I guess . Don’t have any saggy skin YET but if I lose more especially in the stomach then I might. I’m also using Biotin Shampoo which is supposed to help with hair loss but I doubt it from what I’ve read about it. Keep in touch everyone here have n this site are pretty cool to answer any questions you have

I'm new here,and supposed to have gastric bypass in March. I have been having so much depression and anxiety about this. I worry about not being able to eat foods I like, but have read on here from you guys that tastes change ,so that makes me feel better. I also worry about the hair loss, and is there anything I can take to help with that? any supplements maybe? Also, I worry about having sagging skin after weight loss, especially on the already lower abdominal fat/skin that is already hanging. What do people do?
Hi horizon & welcome. You have lots of valid concerns, I'm glad you found us.

Are you seeing a therapist about the depression/anxiety you're feeling? Finding a way to turn that into hope and excitement will make all the difference. Even introducing meditation and affirmations into your daily routine can work wonders. Try focusing on all the positive changes that you're looking forward to once you feel healthier, have more energy and yes... look amazing. :)

For most of us, there is hair loss between months 3-6 but if you're like me, it stops after a few months & starts growing back. I was fortunate that I have a lot of hair so I was the only one who noticed the thinning. Even my hairdresser didn't, she only noticed when she noticed a ton of regrowth coming in.

Sagging skin... sigh, unfortunately with significant weight loss, it goes with the territory. :( The severity depends on your age, how long you've been obese, how much weight you loose, sun exposure, genetics and a multitude of other things. Unfortunately, it's a gamble. But please don't let this deter you! It's far better to get healthy and feel good. You can deal with the skin later if you need to. If it's causing medical issues (such as rashes, limited mobility, etc.) talk to your doctor about it right away. Make it a medically-documented problem & who knows, perhaps insurance would pay for some removal down the road. If not, perhaps you can look into financing body reconstruction down the road.

Good luck in your journey and keep asking questions, we're here to help anyone we can.

Welcome to the group! It is a lot of information to process but it is definitely worth the worrying you are doing now. Keep in mind, not being able to eat the foods you like can be a good thing (depending on what foods those are). I know there were a lot of things I liked before surgery that were not healthy and got me to the point where I needed surgery. Only one item on that list still calls to me, donuts. I have had a couple of screaming sessions because the want is so great, but I have found that my want to be healthier is greater. Maybe someday down the line I can try one. If I do, at least I know I can't eat half a dozen because my stomach won't allow it. It is all about moderation :)

I am currently experiencing the hair loss. I take hair/nail/skin vitamins and use shampoo & conditioner that contain biotin. Not working (but I still love the products so I'm continuing the use). I have thin hair already so it is noticeable that the hair around my temples is very thinned out. In my profile pic, my bangs are pulled back and have a little bump in the front. I can no longer do that because it is too noticeable. I also can't pull my hair back into a pony tail any longer. But I am able to cover it by styling my hair differently. No one can tell apart from me. To help I have several hair scarves, headbands, and my hair stylist recommended hair fibers. They are amazing! With them, I can pull my bangs back and put my hair in a ponytail. They are a bit expensive so I don't do it often, but for me it works perfectly. Below is a pic of my hair today (using the fibers). At least to me, it doesn't look thin (if anyone thinks it does, keep it to yourself!!!! lol). Even going through this part of the journey, I still don't regret it!

Below is a pic of my hair today (using the fibers). At least to me, it doesn't look thin (if anyone thinks it does, keep it to yourself!!!! lol). Even going through this part of the journey, I still don't regret it!
Are you kidding? It looks GORGEOUS!

What are hair fibers? Is this a thing you have done at a salon? Can you notice anything weird close up?

(if anyone thinks it does, keep it to yourself!!!! lol).

Great boundaries, kid! "Keep it to yourself" could be a mantra for everyone relating to the differences before and after surgery in general.

You are a real success story, Miss D. I'm so glad I met you here!

Back