• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Here

Welcome. This is quite a journey. I had sleeve surgery on Jan. 21. I'm so glad I did. It is helping my body lose weight in a way that I could never do. I recommend a book to newbies - "How weight loss surgery really works," by Dr. Matthew Weiner. He has a youtube channel where you can learn a lot. There are supportive people here; you will learn a lot.

It will be my Insurance I have blue cross and blue shield
I also have BCBS and was told by the nurse at the surgeon's office that she had never seen them approve a bariatric surgery. I am in CO. I have decided rather than wait for a refusal that I am going to pay myself. I am looking at around $15,000 for the sleeve with the Dr., hospital and anesthesiologist. Does that sound about right for anyone who has also paid themselves?

I also have BCBS and was told by the nurse at the surgeon's office that she had never seen them approve a bariatric surgery.

Whoa, whoa! You're basing your decision on the stayement of one nurse? What's wrong with this picture, people!?

An insurance decision is not made by Consulting a nurse. . That says you should be made. By a physician who has studied your medical files and found you have comorbidities or that you are have the potential for a life-threatening disease if you don't have the surgery.

Surgeons put this in writing and include it with the letter they send saying they believe that you qualify for bariatric surgery because of one or more diseases that you are going to get if you don't lose the weight.

bariatric surgery pays bariatric surgery pays for itself in the long run because it's yours diabetes. And can Stave off heart disease. And any number of cardiovascular diseases that call for prescriptions. I can't believe Blue Cross Blue Shield would not have jumped at the opportunity to pay for this small surgery.

Based upon what you wrote, I would say it sounds like you are getting the wrong information. . You need to see a more reputable Medical Clinic where nurses do not diagnose you..

I also have BCBS and was told by the nurse at the surgeon's office that she had never seen them approve a bariatric surgery. I am in CO. I have decided rather than wait for a refusal that I am going to pay myself. I am looking at around $15,000 for the sleeve with the Dr., hospital and anesthesiologist. Does that sound about right for anyone who has also paid themselves?
I work with a couple of Ladies that have the same insurance as me . They have had the surgery, It did not pay the whole thing but most
Whoa, whoa! You're basing your decision on the stayement of one nurse? What's wrong with this picture, people!?

An insurance decision is not made by Consulting a nurse. . That says you should be made. By a physician who has studied your medical files and found you have comorbidities or that you are have the potential for a life-threatening disease if you don't have the surgery.

Surgeons put this in writing and include it with the letter they send saying they believe that you qualify for bariatric surgery because of one or more diseases that you are going to get if you don't lose the weight.

bariatric surgery pays bariatric surgery pays for itself in the long run because it's yours diabetes. And can Stave off heart disease. And any number of cardiovascular diseases that call for prescriptions. I can't believe Blue Cross Blue Shield would not have jumped at the opportunity to pay for this small surgery.

Based upon what you wrote, I would say it sounds like you are getting the wrong information. . You need to see a more reputable Medical Clinic where nurses do not diagnose you..
Thank you!:)The ladies that I work with have the same insurance and it will pay all but around 2,600

I work with a couple of Ladies that have the same insurance as me . They have had the surgery, It did not pay the whole thing but most

I am super fortunate that my husbands insurance covers bariatric surgery with a 180 wait time, monthly dietitian visits, a visit with the counselor, and I’m not allowed to weigh even 1 lb more than my initial weigh in. I may have had a lot of salty foods the weekend before my appointment to ensure I’d weigh less for my last appointment Sometimes you have to work a system that doesn’t always work for you. I’m happy you’re here on this journey! I am thinking of having the sleeve, but I’m starting to second guess myself based on more reading. I see the surgeon in March, so I’ll really get into what I am wanting from the surgery, then go from there. I’ve been to the seminars, but I think a one on one with him is going to help me decide.

Back