• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Here!

Welcome, this is a very informative and supportive group. Feel free to share and seek opinions. Everyone has some different experiences but there are also many similarities that I'm finding we all go through. I'm just a week post op, but started reading posts when I started the process.

Good luck with your procedure!

Welcome, this is a very informative and supportive group. Feel free to share and seek opinions. Everyone has some different experiences but there are also many similarities that I'm finding we all go through. I'm just a week post op, but started reading posts when I started the process.

Good luck with your procedure!
Thank you for the welcome message! How are you doing with your liquid intake. My biggest concern for next week is post op hydration, especially in the middle of summer with the heat. I have read so many different things, but mostly to sip 2 ounces slowly every 30 minutes. It seems like it would be difficult to get in 48oz or 64oz per day at that rate. If you feel up to it, maybe you could share how you are doing it. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Welcome to the group. You will be okay for hydration. You are on an IV in the hospital and the nurses measure your intake using 1oz cups. They make sure you are able to get/keep adequate liquids down before they send you home. Every day gets a little easier to get your liquids in. I was up to 64 oz. 4 days after surgery. (I got home day 3). Good luck on your surgery!

Welcome to the group. You will be okay for hydration. You are on an IV in the hospital and the nurses measure your intake using 1oz cups. They make sure you are able to get/keep adequate liquids down before they send you home. Every day gets a little easier to get your liquids in. I was up to 64 oz. 4 days after surgery. (I got home day 3). Good luck on your surgery!
Thank you for the message and encouragement!

Welcome! I’m preop too. I’ve got the same question/concerns about hydration. I’m hoping to keep my water bottle next to me at all time, and take sips through the day.

Welcome! I’m preop too. I’ve got the same question/concerns about hydration. I’m hoping to keep my water bottle next to me at all time, and take sips through the day.
Thank you and I wish you the best. That is my plan as well...hoping that a lack of nausea will help facilitate the plan. I just don't want to end up in ER getting an IV, it always takes more than 3 pokes to get a line in me even when I am properly hydrated. But I am going to stop worrying about it, just do as I am instructed, and control the things that I can. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!

Congratulations on your decision and welcome to the group. I had RYGB and it worked fantastically for me. I lost 60 lb in the first 2 months. I continue to lose until I had dropped 115 lb. Then I actually had to gain a little bit back because I had gotten too skinny.

I have always been a water drinker so drinking water after surgery was not a problem for me. But it is a really big issue for most people. It's worth spending time researching ways to get hydrated and stay hydrated. I think that water consumption is probably more important than what you eat. The only thing that is equal to that is making sure you get the number of protein grams you are advised to get. For me it was 50 to 70 grams of protein a day. Curiously enough, once I started doing that, it became really easy. To this day I still think about protein first when I start my daily food consumption. And I have managed to keep most of my weight off for 13 years and I fluctuate between 140 and 150 lb which is just fine for my physique.

Congratulations on your decision and welcome to the group. I had RYGB and it worked fantastically for me. I lost 60 lb in the first 2 months. I continue to lose until I had dropped 115 lb. Then I actually had to gain a little bit back because I had gotten too skinny.

I have always been a water drinker so drinking water after surgery was not a problem for me. But it is a really big issue for most people. It's worth spending time researching ways to get hydrated and stay hydrated. I think that water consumption is probably more important than what you eat. The only thing that is equal to that is making sure you get the number of protein grams you are advised to get. For me it was 50 to 70 grams of protein a day. Curiously enough, once I started doing that, it became really easy. To this day I still think about protein first when I start my daily food consumption. And I have managed to keep most of my weight off for 13 years and I fluctuate between 140 and 150 lb which is just fine for my physique.
Congrats and thank you for sharing your journey and lessons learned!

How are you doing with your liquid intake. If you feel up to it, maybe you could share how you are doing it. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Obviously, if you are doing 1 oz of water or protein drink every 15 minutes, you have to be awake and drinking for 16 hours to get your full liquid content in for the day, which isn't too unusual for people who sleep 8 hours a night. However, that first week after surgery, especially the first couple days, it can be difficult to stay awake that long.

Early on, I would just follow the 1oz per 15 min guideline every minute I was awake, whether that was in the day or in the middle of the night. I was using 1oz cups and alternating between water and protein drink. I do get bored with water pretty easily, so I do substitute Crystal Lite at times, which made it easier for me. I have to dilute it down because it's very sweet, but just a little flavor makes it easier for me to want to drink. Basically, I approached the 1oz/15min process like a prescription. I was lucky and never had any nausea or vomiting or discomfort doing this. In approaching it this way I almost always got my 64oz in over the course of 24 hours. The drinking wasn't always consecutive, but over 24 hours it added up.

After about 5 days I started sipping a bit more than 1oz every 15 min, again alternating with water and protein drink. I concentrated my protein drink so that there was a higher protein value in a lower amount of liquid. This allowed me to have a smaller amount of protein drink, but still the same amount of protein. At the same time I started drinking more water.

I have a 24oz water bottle that I fill with water first thing in the morning and stays with me at all times. I try to drink three of those per day, at least one that is all just water, and the other two might be Crystal Lite (or vice versa). I don't always get 72 in, but always at least 64.

I also have thin soups as an "additional" liquid at lunch and dinner. This is above what I would have in protein or water drinks.

Sometimes I substitute greek yogurt for an amount of protein drink since a small cup of the Okios Triple Zero yogurt has 15g of protein. I generally get in more than 60g of protein, but I try to limit the powders to no more than 60 per day and protein from yogurt can go on top of that.

As far as getting all that liquid down, for me, having it flavored with something makes a huge difference, but everyone is probably going to be a bit different.

Hello, I am new to this site. I have read several posts and already appreciate the experiences shared and supportive nature of everyone. I am scheduled for gastric bypass on July 28th, and I am glad I have joined the group.
Welcome! I’m fairly new too! I just discovered this site a few weeks ago. You are right the supportive nature of everyone here is amazing. Hey we will be gastric bypass buddies! I’m also scheduled for July 28th.

That is awesome! I am in WA State, having mine performed on Tuesday at CHI Franciscan in Federal Way WA. How about you? Currently I am doing the liquid diet gig...best of luck on your procedure!

I'm in Seattle and had my surgery at Virginia Mason. And when I had my bariatric endoscopy last year, I also had it at Virginia Mason. However, I am in The Franciscan network and considered the Federal Way clinic. But I just didn't want to take a bus that far or try to drive down there and Seattle traffic.

Best of luck to you.

Hi Sx - Welcome to the group!!

When I had GB 1/22/2020 I was allowed to drink 2oz of water every hour the first day. The 2nd day I was allowed 2oz every 30 minutes. When I was released from the hospital I was on full liquid diet. Now, I'm a touch over 6 months post-op and my surgical team has told me that my 64oz of liquid includes EVERYTHING I drink for the day. That can include protein shakes, coffee, tea, juice, water, broth, etc. I keep a 24oz cup with me ALL the time filled with water or water with some flavor packet. I drink 2 protein shakes a day (60 grams of protein) - I'm required to consume 90 grams of protein daily and on a good day I can only eat 35 or less grams of protein. For dinner tonight I had chicken salad with tomatoes. I ended up with 93grams of protein and 64oz of liquid.

Back