• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here

Mrssolis31

Had the gastric bypass done September 8 and just a lot of questions as far as to everybody else’s journey and what they’ve been through I know that every situation is different however just looking for advice and support . My wife is very supportive and she will be having the same surgery as well before the end of the year . I’ve read a lot of different articles but it’s different coming from people who actually have gone through the process . With my surgery The only thing that I know is that they did have to remove some of the intestines the surgeon told me that basically there was no blood flow when trying to reconnect it. So I have 6 cuts instead of the 5 .

I can't give you any first-hand advice, as i had the big old gastric bypass with an open procedure with a 7" midriff incision 14 years ago. But I can give you the best advice anyone here has ever given: ask your doc, surgeon, nutritionist, bariatric team or other expert medical professional. We are happy to support you, and there are thousands of archived posts you can search that relate to every issue. Congratulations on making this hard decision. I had a post-op regret here and there, but I do it again in a heartbeat. I never could have conquered my eating disorders to get to a healthy weight. And honestly, I'm not sure I would be here today if I hadn't made this choice. I mean, I couldn't live with myself and the horrible shame that cloaked my every thought and action. You are very welcome here, and along with your medical resources, you WILL be fine.

I can't give you any first-hand advice, as i had the big old gastric bypass with an open procedure with a 7" midriff incision 14 years ago. But I can give you the best advice anyone here has ever given: ask your doc, surgeon, nutritionist, bariatric team or other expert medical professional. We are happy to support you, and there are thousands of archived posts you can search that relate to every issue. Congratulations on making this hard decision. I had a post-op regret here and there, but I do it again in a heartbeat. I never could have conquered my eating disorders to get to a healthy weight. And honestly, I'm not sure I would be here today if I hadn't made this choice. I mean, I couldn't live with myself and the horrible shame that cloaked my every thought and action. You are very welcome here, and along with your medical resources, you WILL be fine.
Thank you so much it’s greatly appreciated. I know that this is going to make me healthy and I look forward to that . I know it will be worth it in the end it’s just getting used to .

Hello & welcome. I had the bypass in June of 2022. I was very lucky that I had little pain and did not need a anything more than Tylenol by the time I left the hospital. Even so, it takes a lot of getting used to lol

What I found most helpful was the abdominal binder. I even slept in it. It was super helpful in keeping everything in place when I moved. Of course, my husband hated his, so you may not like it, either. But he was also in more pain. Coincidence? I think not lol

I also liked their 1oz cups they sent me home with to drink from. I knew I had to finish one every 10-15 minutes if I wanted to get my protein and water in. Although, I did feel like sipping water was a CONSTANT thing!!

I used Isopure clear protein. I found the pre-mixed, which had 40g of protein, rather than the 15 that many others have. I could not find it when my husband had the sleeve in Feb, so I bought the powder and used double scoops so he hit his goals too.

It takes time to adjust but is well worth the effort!!!

Back