• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Member - Karen

Karen R.

Hi everyone! I am a new member and look forward to reading all the Posts.

Does anyone have problems when they have 1 or 2 drinks and have blackouts? This doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it hits big time. My last blackout out put me in the hospital because I fell down a flight of steps and got a concussion.

Does anyone have problems when they have 1 or 2 drinks and have blackouts? This doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it hits big time. My last blackout out put me in the hospital because I fell down a flight of steps and got a concussion.
Welcome. I have experienced black outs but nothing related to the surgery. I hope you've recovered well.

Alcohol goes straight to our blood stream, you really have to watch how much you drink, I haven't had any blackouts but I know one glass of wine works for me. Just learn to Pace yourself on one drink

Oh...'drinks' didn't really register with me as alcohol...lol! Wow, talk about not paying attention...sheesh!

Of course a couple drinks will make you pass out, your doctor should have told you that as a WLS patient, alcohol is on the 'you can no longer have this EVER' list...It's basic body science, you have a vertical tube in you, that drops the alcohol through you quickly, then straight onto your liver, but since it went through the tummy and out again, as you drink you feel sober quickly, but in reality your liver is still processing your first drink while you're having your second, by the time the second or third hits, you've maxed out your liver and your blood alcohol level is through the roof and boom! your not only drunk, your passing out. Unfortunately the stats on WLS patients becoming alcoholics is staggering, because they get hooked on how fast they can get drunk and they like it. The basic 'unspoken' rule of thumb for WLS patients is if your going to drink, no beer due to the bloating and if you have mixed drinks no more than 3 or 4, and if you are doing shots, no more than 2. Oh, and if you drink at all, have a designated driver, because with just 1 drink, your blood alcohol level is too high to drive. :)

Back