• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New member needing some advice please

armywife3433

Hello everyone I need some advice of what I can do to start my weight loss back up. I had my surgery May of this year and lost a total of 69 pounds. I am at a plateau right now and i am not having any success in making it budge. How can I get the scale to budge? It also seems as though I have more of an appetite as well now. has anyone else experienced an increase in appetite? I am getting kind of discouraged please help.

Hello everyone I need some advice of what I can do to start my weight loss back up. I had my surgery May of this year and lost a total of 69 pounds. I am at a plateau right now and i am not having any success in making it budge. How can I get the scale to budge? It also seems as though I have more of an appetite as well now. has anyone else experienced an increase in appetite? I am getting kind of discouraged please help.

Hi! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

What kind of bariatric surgery did you have?

You can go back to basics. Start over just like when you had surgery. Go on a liquid diet for awhile to shrink your stomach again. Then eat soft foods like flakey fish, cottage cheese, and applesauce. When you add regular foods to your diet, limit your carbohydrates. Eat small amounts at a time and eat enough protein foods. Enough protein is the key to not feeling hungry and losing weight.

Good luck!

Cheyenne :cool:

Hi Cheyenne I had the RNY surgery. I am going to try and go back to the liquids then slowly work my way back up again. How long do you think I should do this for? Also do you have any suggestion for the best protein shakes? Currently I am drinking Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein which has 30g of protein per scoop. Thank you so much for replying

Hi Cheyenne I had the RNY surgery. I am going to try and go back to the liquids then slowly work my way back up again. How long do you think I should do this for? Also do you have any suggestion for the best protein shakes? Currently I am drinking Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein which has 30g of protein per scoop. Thank you so much for replying

I'm really not the person to ask about shakes because my surgeon took me completely off shakes after 8 wks post op. He said he found that people would not lose as much weight by drinking shakes and eating meals they were doubling their calories and he wanted me to eat nutritious food. When I was allowed shakes I just had a generic brand of Whey protein from WalMart. I hear from other members that the Premier and the Unjury brand shakes are really good.

I think if you are on liquids for a few days until your stomach shrinks and transition to food like you had in the beginning of your journey for maybe a week and then work up to a very well thought out menu. I ate things like 1/3 of a chicken breast, 1/4 cup green beans and 1/4 cup stewed tomatoes which all added up to less than 100 calories but it was very nutritious. Also I ate a lot of salads with chicken breast broke up in it. I also cooked lean beef and lean pork to eat because I got tired of chicken. There is a really good site online where you can put in foods and it will give you the calories and nutritional info on each food. Pick foods you like but are high in protein and low in carbs and fat. If you are eating with family who are eating regular foods and if that's hard for you then don't stay in the room with them while they are eating. I would cook up my meat, my vegetables, and cut up my salad fixings and put it all in separate plastc bowls. Then when I wanted to eat I just took out my bowls and made my plate, stick it in the microwave for a minute, make my salad or whatever. I think it's key to be able to have the right kind of food ready to eat quickly when your hungry so you don't fall into eating the wrong foods.

Looking back over your first post, you lost almost 70 lb in just 6 months. That's a really good weight loss. Weight isn't usually lost evenly. At first you may watch the weight come off like clockwork. As times passes you may see more and more plateaus but that is normal. Your body is adjusting to the new weight before it allows your weight to drop again. Your body is trying to keep you from starving to death. Eat your protein religiously. Just hold on and don't get discouraged. Are you getting close to goal weight or do you still have a way to go? As you get close to goal weight sometimes you have to cut your calories more and/or up your exercise. Don't get discouraged, just hang in there and your weight will drop. :)

Cheyenne :cool:

Hi,

Weight loss journey is an up and down and plateau journey.

Take a look at my weight chart here >>> http://www.americanbariatrics.org/album.php?albumid=9791&attachmentid=840

I am still keeping a weight chart as I maintain now.

I should put up a new one.

I use caloriecount.com to keep track of all my food and exercise and see how I am doing. I make sure I get my required protein and I keep the carbs under control. While losing weight my target was 1200 calories with 80 grams of protein (male) and keep the carbs in the 100 to 150 gram range, preferably lower if I could.

Now I target 1700 calories, which allows me more carbs. I still keep my protein up around 80 grams. Too much protein can lead to other issues such as kidney stones.

I faithfully log all my intake and exercise. This way I am accountable and I am NOT fooling myself. You begin to gain weight simply because you are eating too much and/or not exercising enough. Sounds simple, but you must develop a discipline and control this for the rest of your life.

As I mentioned in other posts here, I had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I let things go. I celebrated. I ate goodies. I drank my favorite scotch and had wine with my friends, etc., etc. I knew I was outside my set boundaries, but I wanted to enjoy Thanksgiving and all its treats. Even so, everyone looked at me and saw me eating so much less than the rest of them.

Anyway, I ended up outside my weight range. I try to stay between 196 to 200. I ended up at 201.6 !!! Holy Moly.

What I do when that happens is I restrict my calorie intake again targeting 1200 to 1500 calories per day until my weight drops back down into range and I make sure I at least get to mid-range around 198. Right now, I am at 200.8 and dropping.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Back