• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New member with RE gain issues...

Hi everyone,

I am new and am really struggling Big time! I had my surgery way back in 2014 and I lost down to 174 and felt like 1 million bucks. Unfortunately I ended up back in the same “food addiction“ senecio and here I am almost 100lbs regained. I feel like a total failure. But what do I do? I turn back to my old ways and am now a full fledge sugar addict. My mind only thinks of food. Im almost constantly grazing. A lot of my weight regain is in my upper tummy and I’m beginning to struggle in so many areas of my life, I just don’t know what to do. I went to a nutritionist about 50lbs ago and she said I needed to be on a 1200 calorie diet. i never see that happening. feeling lost... thanks for listening,

The number one thing that you have to get set back on track is your thinking and emotions. It sounds like there is something deeper that may be driving you to eat and sugar addiction. If you don't already, I would encourage you to seek out a counselor that can help you work through these matters and help you figure out a healthy way to deal with them. There was a quote I heard somewhere that basically says if you don't get your mind right, the rest can't be right. Start there, and the other come into line.

Hi everyone,

I am new and am really struggling Big time! I had my surgery way back in 2014 and I lost down to 174 and felt like 1 million bucks. Unfortunately I ended up back in the same “food addiction“ senecio and here I am almost 100lbs regained. I feel like a total failure. But what do I do? I turn back to my old ways and am now a full fledge sugar addict. My mind only thinks of food. Im almost constantly grazing. A lot of my weight regain is in my upper tummy and I’m beginning to struggle in so many areas of my life, I just don’t know what to do. I went to a nutritionist about 50lbs ago and she said I needed to be on a 1200 calorie diet. i never see that happening. feeling lost... thanks for listening,
Think of uncontrollable eating of sugar and plug it in every time you see the word "alcohol" below:

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

Our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now. If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it — then you are ready to take certain steps.

At some of these we balked. We thought we could find an easier, softer way. But we could not. With all the earnestness at our command, we beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start. Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.

Remember that we deal with alcohol — cunning, baffling, powerful! Without help it is too much for us. But there is One who has all power —

that's the AA preamble. Next, the 12 steps to recovery follow. Surely having a sugar addiction that drives you to gain 100 pounds, even after having bariatric surgery, is on the level of having alcoholism.

First think I'd do is ask for an endoscope to find out if my pouch has stretched.

Then you have to decide for yourself if you want to be overweight or of a reasonable weight that cures disease and improves lifestyle. If you want help, you first need to have a full medical investigation.

Hi everyone,

Overeaters Anonymous is a place where you can deal with sugar addiction. What are you willing to do, what step are you willing to take to get started? It has to be you who starts something. You can start by writing down everything you eat. know that you will experience withdrawal when you go off sugar. You can handle it. I won't be fun but you can do it. There are supportive people here to bounce things off of.

Back