• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to Group

Hello everyone .. I’m new to the site. I am planning on have the sleeve gastrectomy in Dec. Still going through all the “pre surgery hoops”.
I am married with 3 grown boys, (25, 20 & 18) and grandson (3). So I am so ready for this surgery so I can keep up with the grandson and hopefully future grandkids.
But I really need right now is to talk to about 10 people who’s had surgery. I’d like to hear:
• How your surgery went, coming home, learning to eat again? Good & bad.
• How did affect (if any) your relationship with your spouse/sufficient other?
• How was the rest of your family with the decision and your results?
Thanks!

Hello! I have had the lap band ... be more than happy to share my experience with you if you'd like. I don't know much about the Sleeve though ... my recovery was just a few days. Learning to eat is an adventure. After almost 2 years, I still find food I can eat well and some I can't ... and then in a few days those choices are reversed. It's the nature of any weight loss surgery, I think.

I have been fortunate and have not come across any "sabateurs" who try to ruin my eating habits. I was, however, very open with the people I work with (offices tend to be flooded with munchies, home baked goodies and take-out options). Once people learned not to take it personally if I turned them down for food or lunch, they understood after they knew why.

I think the hardest part for me is that my loved ones "were ok" with the size I was. It was ME who wasn't happy about it. They're supportive, don't get me wrong. There are times - like now that I have hit a plateau - where they don't understand my frustration. "You lost 50 pounds, right? You're not happy about that?". Well, yes I am. But ...

I have no children so the only food in the house is what I bring home. That is a big key ... keeping the temptations away. They're ok every now and then ... but you can consume a serious amount of calories (such as from ice cream, fruit juice, pasta and sauces, heavily salted items) which will make you NOT lose. So once you begin your journey after surgery ... you will find it gets considerably easier to watch what you eat after a few months.

Back