• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to group :)

jn717

Hi everyone! I just joined your group today. Its so nice to find someplace to get so much information.

I am set to have my surgery on December 16th. I have really gotten nervous over the last few weeks. I guess it deciding what brand vitamins to choose, what protein powder taste the best, will I be able to drink and eat okay after without getting sick? My surgeon team is wonderful and has a great reputation. I have been going through classes, counseling, and nutrition therapy since March.

I guess if anyone has any information or stories they think would help I would appreciate it. What is you favorite protein shake, vitamins, other clear liquids? Has anyone tasted the Wal-Mart brand? Do you have any regrets?

Hello! I have had the lap band. I have no regrets whatsoever! The nerves will go away as the excitement builds and it starts to sink in that you are actually doing something for YOURSELF that will last a lifetime. The best protein drink that I found - which is made for bariatric patients - is Nectar. Not sure where you live, but I get mine at The Vitamin Shoppe. Amazon sells it, too. Comes in like a dozen flavors - all are great tasting with water or milk. And once you mix them, they stay mixed.

I also take gummy Vitamins (Vitafusion MultiVites). They are very good with no aftertaste (One a Day's don't taste good to me).

You'll do just fine ... just envision the results and the fear will fade away before you know! Good luck to you!

I have stuck with the bariatric vitamins that my doctor suggested, and using powder form now 3 weeks post op. I like the pre-mixed protein shakes like Atkins, EAS, and Premier protein. A lot of people say their tastes change after surgery, but they still taste good to me. I have been eating sugar free jello with added protein powder (Unjury) and protein broths and protein hot chocolate. I tried to make some of these myself with the Unjury powder, but they just didn't work out. They are relatively expensive (about $1.50 a serving), but on the other hand, I haven't gone to the grocery store in over a month!
I have used the protein powder they sell at Walmart to make protein bars (before surgery), and they were very good. When my Unjury runs out, I'll try using it to make smoothies or whatever.
I don't have any regrets. My fat days are done. I don't want to be that person anymore. Like somebody said "nothing tastes as good as being thin makes you feel"

Back