• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to group

KarenC

Hello, I have my second appointment with my doctor this afternoon. I met with my primary this morning for my physical, but I have to go back for a follow up to discuss it. She says she supports it, but we need to go through the process of getting it approved through insurance. I'm nervous that I won't get approved for some reason. I've made my mind up, and I hope all goes well.

Just feeling nervous. My next appt with my primary is in two weeks.

Karen

Hello, I have my second appointment with my doctor this afternoon. I met with my primary this morning for my physical, but I have to go back for a follow up to discuss it. She says she supports it, but we need to go through the process of getting it approved through insurance. I'm nervous that I won't get approved for some reason. I've made my mind up, and I hope all goes well.

Karen
Just to forewarn you, a lot of insurance companies require that you show you are serious about losing weight before they will fully approve you. They will do this by having you on a controlled diet, through a dietician usually. I did not have to do this as I am on Medicare due to a disability unrelated to my weight. I hope you are able to avoid this also. As for feeling nervous, it is normal. With everyone of my appointments, I was a nervous wreck and got sick to my stomach. In the end, my surgery was rescheduled the day before, so I had to wait almost two months to finally get it done. Talk about a nervous wreck. I just knew it was going to be rescheduled again.

I had to go to classes and support groups, meet with Dr and nutritionist for 6 months before they would set the date, I also had to lose 10% of my body weight, it took forever but in the end it was worth it, good luck

My insurance doesn't pay for weight loss surgery. I drive 6 hours to Muskegon Michigan to get a cheaper rate. I got several credit cards and saved up for the $11,500 operation. I'm planning on moving the money to keep them on 0% interest rate credit cards until I can get them paid off. With my food bill going down it shouldn't take more than two years. Since surgery on January 31, I have felt so good. I can't say it's right for everyone but it worked for me.

It took over a year for my insurance to approve the surgery. I have Tricare since my husband is retired Army. I had to do a 6 month supervised diet by my primary doctor. Also had to go to a cardiologist and have a nuclear stress test and EKG and ultrasound of my heart. Had to go for a pulmonary function test, too. Seemed to take forever but finally had my surgery Jan. 10. I had my 1 month follow-up today. I can now eat deli meat, ground beef, chicken, fish, ground turkey. HOORAY! I still have a protein shake for breakfast every morning. They are 30 grams of protein so that is 1/2 of what I'm supposed to get for the day, at least. I am really glad I did this. Now I need to start getting more exercise.

Wow, I feel for everyone that has had or is having issues with being able to have the surgery. I have a surgery date and am waiting for my insurance's approval. I had to do the 6 months nutrition meetings and then a slew of tests. Luckily, my insurance supports the operation and I was told by my doctor not to worry about it, but... knock wood that they don't reject me! I have 4 qualifiers for the operation so there's that. Anyway, I hope all goes well for you, I'm sure it will.

I'm healthy other than being overweight so that may have been what took my insurance so long to approve the surgery. I do have arthritis in both knees, both hips and lower back. The pain in my knees is better since losing weight but my back is still hurting. Hopefully as I lose more weight, that will go away.
When is your surgery?

I'm healthy other than being overweight so that may have been what took my insurance so long to approve the surgery. I do have arthritis in both knees, both hips and lower back. The pain in my knees is better since losing weight but my back is still hurting. Hopefully as I lose more weight, that will go away.
When is your surgery?

Hi Debby, my surgery is 3/22/17 (pending insurance approval). I'm a type 2 (T2) diabetic, have high blood pressure, high chlor/trygl, premature degenerative bone disease (already had 3 disks removed in my neck), arthritis, and of course, have morbid obesity. I'm hoping to see a big reduction and maybe elimination of my meds. That's why I'm doing this, to stop my T2 from escalating, as it is doing. My mother died at 64 and primarily from the effects of diabetes. I'm 56, female, and hope to out live her and have a full life. I'm nearing retirement and I want to enjoy it, not be bed bound like one of my sisters. Sorry, too much information. I'm so glad to meet folks on this board, it helps so much.

Hi Debby, my surgery is 3/22/17 (pending insurance approval). I'm a type 2 (T2) diabetic, have high blood pressure, high chlor/trygl, premature degenerative bone disease (already had 3 disks removed in my neck), arthritis, and of course, have morbid obesity. I'm hoping to see a big reduction and maybe elimination of my meds. That's why I'm doing this, to stop my T2 from escalating, as it is doing. My mother died at 64 and primarily from the effects of diabetes. I'm 56, female, and hope to out live her and have a full life. I'm nearing retirement and I want to enjoy it, not be bed bound like one of my sisters. Sorry, too much information. I'm so glad to meet folks on this board, it helps so much.
Oh, my name is Laura. ;)

A friend of mine that had gastric bypass a year ago last Sept. doesn't have to take her insulin any longer for diabetes. Nor her high blood pressure meds. She's really happy about that.

A friend of mine that had gastric bypass a year ago last Sept. doesn't have to take her insulin any longer for diabetes. Nor her high blood pressure meds. She's really happy about that.
Wow, that sounds so encouraging. I hope it will be the same for me - and good for your friend, too!

Karen
YOU GOING TO BE FINE...I WILL KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS.

Hi again Laura. Is your surgery still scheduled for the 22nd? Let us know how are you doing.

Just to forewarn you, a lot of insurance companies require that you show you are serious about losing weight before they will fully approve you. They will do this by having you on a controlled diet, through a dietician usually. I did not have to do this as I am on Medicare due to a disability unrelated to my weight. I hope you are able to avoid this also. As for feeling nervous, it is normal. With everyone of my appointments, I was a nervous wreck and got sick to my stomach. In the end, my surgery was rescheduled the day before, so I had to wait almost two months to finally get it done. Talk about a nervous wreck. I just knew it was going to be rescheduled again.

Christine, I am so glad you shared the information about Medicare as I am Medicare also. I was beginning to worry that my surgeon and pt advocate did not tell me thatI needed to have a supervised diet prior to surgery when I started to read how most everyone else had to go through that process. I even put in a call to their office and am waiting on a call back. So...thanks for sharing that bit of info....Now I won't spend the weekend worrying.

Christine, I am so glad you shared the information about Medicare as I am Medicare also. I was beginning to worry that my surgeon and pt advocate did not tell me thatI needed to have a supervised diet prior to surgery when I started to read how most everyone else had to go through that process. I even put in a call to their office and am waiting on a call back. So...thanks for sharing that bit of info....Now I won't spend the weekend worrying.
Not a problem. It was good news to me when I found out. Keep us informed on how you are doing with the process.

Karen
Hi Karen, How are you doing?

Hi,
How are you doing? I'm just getting back into town and checking up on everyone.

Hi,
How are you doing? I'm just getting back into town and checking up on everyone.
Hi Theresa, thanks for reaching out to me. My progress towards surgery continues with hopes of having a surgery date firmly set very soon.

Back