• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to group

Welcome to group and congratulations on you weight loss journey. I personally have not had surgery yet but I am set to have surgery on Monday the 16th but I assure you that someone who has had surgery and has experienced what you are going through will post. I just wanted to welcome you to group!!

I had RNY about a week before you but I have not had any hunger pains yet. I have definitely over eaten a couple of times and that was very painful.
Are you keeping up with your water and protein? Those seem to be the best way to ward off hunger.
I have struggled with getting my water in but I work on it daily.

Let us know how it continues. I am not sure how the hunger differs in Sleeve vs. RNY

I am a 68 year old male who has weighed as much as 320. I had sleeve surgery aug 13 2019. I started at 296 (July 6 2019) and am 226 today September 14 2019. I am new to the group. Yesterday was first day I felt hunger. Any ideas on how to control this?
Hey Steve and welcome.

I had RNY so as Mimi said, out experience is likely a little different. I am 6 months post op and only started feeling hunger about 2 weeks ago.

My doctor is all about protein for hunger. Are you getting enough in every meal and snack?

I am a 68 year old male who has weighed as much as 320. I had sleeve surgery aug 13 2019. I started at 296 (July 6 2019) and am 226 today September 14 2019. I am new to the group. Yesterday was first day I felt hunger. Any ideas on how to control this?

Welcome :) I would recommend having a full glass of water or a protein shake when you feel hungry. Hunger is a lot of the time our bodies actually telling us we are thirsty. Also, there is nothing wrong with being hungry, as you now have a chance to incorporate the healthy changes for the new you into practice by finding a high protein snack. If you aren't far enough out to have solids or they don't sit well yet, try broth or soup with added protein, it might quench the hunger as well. Best of luck! Keep us posted!

Hi Steve and welcome to the group! I had sleeve 07/29/19, and I deal with the hunger nearly daily. I get my protein in, maybe not as much as my doc wants (90-100 g), but when I start feeling the hunger, any little bit I drink curbs it. I keep water on hand because hydration is important, and when I'm out, if I feel the hunger, a few sips knocks it out. I still have to deal with "eyes bigger than your stomach" syndrome though. I tend to think I can eat what is a decent new normal portion, but I actually fill up before I finish it. That makes me feel good.....because in times past, I'd eat a fulllll portion and then some.
Overall, protein and goal of 64 oz of fluids (no/little calories), preferably water. We will walk this out together, as a group, supporting one another. Once again, WELCOME!!!

Back