• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to groups

Welcome, Terry (boy or girl?). What do you mean "working toward?" Are you already in a pre-op state, diet, exercise, decision of which surgery? We are here for you. I think there are 12,000 members, but less than 100 seem to be active. I wish others would speak up, but I understand and respect those who quietly read and hope they all benefit. Are you having the standard good old dependable bypass (I did)? Please let us know if we can answer questions or share experiences.

Hi, my name is Monique. I live in Jackson, MS. I have been up and down with my weight for years. I am new to this group. I started at 315 pounds. I was down to 270 before the surgery on 8/22/2022. I am now down to 261. I want to go between 180-155 pounds since I am only 5'3".

I was at 259 but now at 238. Haven’t had surgery yet but surgeon only wants me to lose 80 pounds. Doesn’t seem enough
Your surgeon may be trying to keep your expectations in check. It isn't often said but it's absolutely true that an obese person has an eating disorder. We tend to equate that with bulimia & such, but no one has a one-word term for being unable to control weight. Whatever is the motivation, you have an eating disorder.

I am also 5'3" and my normal weight has always been between 115 and 135. I'd be a skeleton if I weighed that at my current age of 71. I don't think you'll stop at 170, but once you get going, it's within your control. Don't worry about your surgeon's expectations. Job One is getting started. Take it slow from there.

And as soon as you can, start walking or mildly exercising. Practice deep breathing. And relax. Welcome to the group. Let us support you.

I was at 259 but now at 238. Haven’t had surgery yet but surgeon only wants me to lose 80 pounds. Doesn’t seem enough
I had a different experience with my surgeon & bariatric team. I was asked what my goal weight was. At 5'2" my pre-surgery weight was 234. I said my 1st goal was 150lbs, and after I reach that weight and see how I feel, I may try to reach 135, a 100lb total possible loss.

They all were comfortable with both of my goals. So far I've lost 70 lbs a year after surgery. I have about 15 lbs more to get to 150, probably by Christmas. Then 15 more by spring to reach 135lbs.

I had a different experience with my surgeon & bariatric team. I was asked what my goal weight was. At 5'2" my pre-surgery weight was 234. I said my 1st goal was 150lbs, and after I reach that weight and see how I feel, I may try to reach 135, a 100lb total possible loss.

They all were comfortable with both of my goals. So far I've lost 70 lbs a year after surgery. I have about 15 lbs more to get to 150, probably by Christmas. Then 15 more by spring to reach 135lbs.
Has the weight loss been comfortable? Any issues?

Has the weight loss been comfortable? Any issues?
Sorry for the late reply. My weight loss started off rapidly after surgery, then slowed down (slow but steady), had a few stalls & plateaus. All I really needed to do to jump-start my body into losing again was more movement, tracking better, watching out for my unhealthy snacking cravings, and going back to at least 1 protein shake daily.

I can't think of any real issues. All I know is that it is so much easier to get back on track since weight-loss surgery.

Sorry for the late reply. My weight loss started off rapidly after surgery, then slowed down (slow but steady), had a few stalls & plateaus. All I really needed to do to jump-start my body into losing again was more movement, tracking better, watching out for my unhealthy snacking cravings, and going back to at least 1 protein shake daily.

I can't think of any real issues. All I know is that it is so much easier to get back on track since weight-loss surgery.

Thanks for responding! I'm getting excited - finally got the date of surgery.

My team also.asked what my goal weight was going to be. The statistics say you can expect to lose between 50-70% of your excess weight. So find your healthy weight range and do the math. That will get you the most realistic goal.

I took my healthy weight range (118-148) & went dead center, so 133. I also went dead center for expected loss, so 60%. Which is 80lbs. 250-80=170lbs. There was my goal.

There are websites to do this math for you, which is way easier lol I currently weight 164, 2 years post op.

Back