• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to groups

I had a different experience with my surgeon & bariatric team. I was asked what my goal weight was. At 5'2" my pre-surgery weight was 234. I said my 1st goal was 150lbs, and after I reach that weight and see how I feel, I may try to reach 135, a 100lb total possible loss.

They all were comfortable with both of my goals. So far I've lost 70 lbs a year after surgery. I have about 15 lbs more to get to 150, probably by Christmas. Then 15 more by spring to reach 135lbs.
Hi Karen,

I set goals too. I had RNY on 8/5/21 so I am about 14 months PO. I am 5'9". I started at 278 so my first goal was 220 (my driver's license weight. lol) next was 199 (so I could be in the 100s), next was 170 because that is where I have previously felt pretty good and this was my just over 100lb lost. After that I went to 160, then 155, then 150, where I am now. I thought about going lower but then decided that I am happy and it could be a vicious cycle to keep adding an additional 5lb to lose. I am happy with my weight now and have been pretty stable for the past 1-2 months. I went from a size 24 to a current size 6. Now to focus on keeping my weight from gaining back. I work out at the gym 4-5 times per week lifting weights. I do some walking but not like 10,000 steps but usually about 6-8k. It seems to me to be a bit harder to "stop" losing weight and finding that sweet spot to maintain. One thing is if I eat too much sweets, I get super nauseous so it will stop me. Well mostly. Example is I can eat a cupcake but with only 1/2 of the frosting. If I eat the other half, I get super nauseous. Sometimes I stop and sometimes I stupidly don't, and pay the price. My mouth doesn't always agree with my tummy. Still a learning process as I can tolerate pretty much everything except for bread. I wish you luck and I am here if you have any questions. :)

Thank you all for welcoming me. I just had my bypass surgery yesterday. A little sore but doing well. How soon after your surgery did you see weight loss?
So glad you did well. I remember those days. It is hard trying to sip, sip, sip and then begin to eat liquids, soft foods, etc. and sometimes there is 'buyer's remorse' Just stay the course and you will be happy. I remember I lost 14lb the first week and was super excited. But then I didn't lose anything for a month. It fluctuated all the time. 5lb one week and then nothing for two weeks then 2 lb. a week for a month and then gain a lb. Some even gain weight the first week so don't get discouraged if you have one of those weeks. Your body is healing and some of us hold onto that water to help with the recovery. You need to look as it as a slow steady process. It will come off, it just takes time. After all, you have the rest of your life to lose what took years to gain.

Thank you all for welcoming me. I just had my bypass surgery yesterday. A little sore but doing well. How soon after your surgery did you see weight loss?
The day I came home from the hospital I had gained 9# from all the IV fluids and inflammation. I lost about 11# the first week and a half (probably fluid) then nothing for 2 weeks. Now it’s been fairly steady, 1-2# every few days. I’m 4 weeks out tomorrow.

So glad you did well. I remember those days. It is hard trying to sip, sip, sip and then begin to eat liquids, soft foods, etc. and sometimes there is 'buyer's remorse' Just stay the course and you will be happy. I remember I lost 14lb the first week and was super excited. But then I didn't lose anything for a month. It fluctuated all the time. 5lb one week and then nothing for two weeks then 2 lb. a week for a month and then gain a lb. Some even gain weight the first week so don't get discouraged if you have one of those weeks. Your body is healing and some of us hold onto that water to help with the recovery. You need to look as it as a slow steady process. It will come off, it just takes time. After all, you have the rest of your life to lose what took years to gain.
Thank you for sharing that; I have a love/hate relationship with my scale and knowing what's going to happen will keep me from wanting to shoot it when the time of little to no progress comes. Much appreciated!

Back