• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

new to site would like to hear from people that had the sleeve

1960tland

Hi everyone,
I have been through most of the process already, and my surgery date is scheduled for the end of April. I'm still nervous about this would like to hear from people that have had the sleeve surgery. My doctor believes that the success rate is very good with the sleeve but I'm very apprehensive. I've been reading some posts, and am not sure now. Please let me know if you had it to do over if you would do it again. How long was the liquid diet phase for most of you?

Greetings!
I had the sleeve on Feb. 1st. The first couple days were NPO with ice chips. The next two days were clear liquids. After that, you begin with the soft proteins. The eating part has not been difficult at all. It's getting the fluids in that's difficult. A few of the others who had the sleeve on the same day I did are doing great. No nausea, nothing horrible. Prior to surgery I had a very low ferratin level, which is going to be treated soon by a hematologist. That may be the reason I feel horrible currently. I am not complaining about having gone forward with the surgery. I have actually released 20 pounds in two weeks and that is amazing for me! Try not to second guess yourself about having the surgery. It really is going to be the best thing I could have ever done for my health ... it's just taking a little more time for me than for most. Good luck!

Hello,
I had the gastric sleeve on December 19, 2012. It was the best decision I've made for myself a long time!! Surgeons have different preferences for your post surgery diet. I was up walking a couple hours after getting out of the recovery room, and I was on water and Isopure the day after my surgery. They had me try broth and pudding before I was released from the hospital. After they found out I had no problems keeping things down I could leave. I have been VERY lucky. I have had no problems with any food or liquid I've tried. I was on liquid for 2 weeks. I wasn't hungry so soups, jello, puddings, yogurt, protein drinks, etc. were fine with me. I was tired of soup by the end of the second week, but I was allowed to move on to soft foods and had eggs, cottage cheese, tuna, and anything you could blend. I was on that about 1 1/2 weeks and then was allowed to add other foods. I could try anything that you didn't have to cut with a knife. I would say that was pretty much everything but steak and some other rough cuts of meat. I could eat anything as long as I remembered to chew it carefully so I wasn't trying to swallow anything big. To this day, I have not gotten sick or found anything I can't eat! I just remember to pay attention to my water, fiber, and protein and I stop eating when I "feel" full. I'm working out 5 days per week on my elliptical trainer and feel better than I have in YEARS!! Good luck to you!

Back