• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to the group!

Hi, everyone! My name is Amanda, and I'm new to the group. I'm currently working on pre-requirements, but I anticipate having surgery around late April- early May (just due to covid backlog). I'm very excited and terrified! I just happened upon the forum without actually looking for a support group. It's so awesome to have so many people who I can ask questions or run though ideas with!

Hi, everyone! My name is Amanda, and I'm new to the group. I'm currently working on pre-requirements, but I anticipate having surgery around late April- early May (just due to covid backlog). I'm very excited and terrified! I just happened upon the forum without actually looking for a support group. It's so awesome to have so many people who I can ask questions or run though ideas with!

Welcome!! I am close to surgery, and my pre op journey has been a roller coaster, relearning good habits takes time for sure. Wishing you the best!

Welcome!! I am close to surgery, and my pre op journey has been a roller coaster, relearning good habits takes time for sure. Wishing you the best!
Honestly the biggest challenge has been "allowing" myself to form good habits and take care of myself, rather than constantly sacrificing for everyone else. It's really hard to be selfish and spend all this time and money, but I have a great support system that is really cheering me on!

Honestly the biggest challenge has been "allowing" myself to form good habits and take care of myself, rather than constantly sacrificing for everyone else. It's really hard to be selfish and spend all this time and money, but I have a great support system that is really cheering me on!
That’s 100% relatable. It’s hard to be the main focus when the focus has always been on others.
You’ll hear this a lot around here: You can’t pour from an empty cup. This is something that I still struggle with, but I’m working on it.

I'm new to the group also still working on my pre ops, almost there just need to schedule my psych and I'll be done. My surgery is looking the the beginning of February. I'm super excited

Hello everyone kinda new to the group 2nd post lol. So I'm almost 5 months post op and unfortunately I got covid and covid pneumonia about 1 month ago. Had to be hospitalized for 4 days and now have long haul covid. I'm on home oxygen for 6 months. I'm still having times where if I eat I throw up, have good days and bad. Even though I went thru all that and still get dumping syndrome(not my fault...cause of covid) BEST decision I ever made!! I'm down 104 lbs from 286 lbs before surgery. I just take it 1 day at a time.

No I was not vaccinated. I believe it was because my immune system was down since having surgery only 2 months prior to getting covid. Covid Pneumonia is the worst. Also the hospital gave me prednisone which as a bariatric patient you cannot have! That lowered my heart rate to 30 and Oxygen level to 80. I had to be admitted and treated for 4 days. I couldn't keep any liquids or food down while having covid and covid pneumonia.

Also the hospital gave me prednisone which as a bariatric patient you cannot have!

Prednisone is an EXTREMELY dangerous drug which should only be used with organ transplants to prevent rejection. I have it listed on my MedicAlert bracelet. I was mistakenly (stupidly) given it when a bunch of idiot doctors didn't recognize exophthalmos from graves Disease and thought I had a tumor growing behind my eyes. I had to wean off it to avoid adrenal failure. Took 11 months and I gained 60 pounds, in addition to a dozen other medical disasters.

Oy. Don't get me started.

No one should take Prednisone, not just bariatric patients, unless there's a grave possibility of loss of life. I say this often here: read the label. But it's more important to study EVERY drug a doctor wants you to take.

Reminds me of a great joke. What's the difference between God and a doctor?

God doesn't think he's a doctor.

I have a serious hatred of Prednisone, but it's well-founded.

If you'd take any drug your doctor gives you, would you also take any drug a dealer would sell you? At least with the drug dealer, he probably has actual experience with the drug.

Please, remember, if someone is trying to get you to take a drug, it's important to know what level of experience he has with that drug. People die from wrong prescriptions all the time.

Back