• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to the site......

tyeride

Hi everybody, my name is Jorge and I'm new to this site. My journey began on 10-10-2012 when I weighed my heaviest of 512 lbs. I decided to have the surgery when the Dr. finally had told me that I had one foot in the grave and that I didn't have much time left. Moving forward 15 months I'm down to 355 lbs. The problem i have is that I stuck at a plateau. It doesn't help that I'm depressed all the time. I'm close to my target weight but that seems so far away. I've always had chronic back pain and my knees are bone on bone. I try and exercise but its so hard with all the pain. I still try to exercise.

Hello Jorge,

Welcome to the site. Congratulations on your success. This is an excellent site for all kinds of advice and information. I haven't had my surgery yet I am having it next Monday on the 10th. I have read where others have hit plateaus and have received excellent advice on how to get things moving again. Keep up the good work. Keep coming back trust me someone will read what you are going through and they give you the answers to your questions. Good luck and once again welcome.

TillieS

Hi. Congratulations on how far you've come! You have a lot to be proud of. I understand your frustration all too well, though. Plateaus are evil. As for your back and knees, have you considered asking for a referral to a pain management doctor? I see one for my knees as I'm technically in need of two total knee replacements. Weight loss has helped my pain immensely, but there are still times where getting around is agony. I could be the skinniest thing on the planet and my knees would still be bad and arthritic. :( Also, I'm on break due to surgery, but I do pilates routinely. It allows me to build muscle and improve flexibility without putting a lot of strain on my knees. Have you talked to your doctor or maybe a physical therapist about finding an exercise routine that might be easier on you?

So what came first, the pain or the depression? All the problems you mention have fixes. Some not so easy, but still... tackle one thing at a time. If you find the depression is the worst problem, go to a doctor for some help. It is out there. If you qualify for knee replacements, go for it. It's the best thing I ever did for myself and it goes a long way toward making you happier and more mobile. There are low impact exercises for chronic back pain.
Concentrate on your blessings and successes. You have lost almost 70% of the weight that you wanted to lose. That is amazing.

Hi everybody, my name is Jorge and I'm new to this site. My journey began on 10-10-2012 when I weighed my heaviest of 512 lbs. I decided to have the surgery when the Dr. finally had told me that I had one foot in the grave and that I didn't have much time left. Moving forward 15 months I'm down to 355 lbs. The problem i have is that I stuck at a plateau. It doesn't help that I'm depressed all the time. I'm close to my target weight but that seems so far away. I've always had chronic back pain and my knees are bone on bone. I try and exercise but its so hard with all the pain. I still try to exercise.

Hi Jorge!!! WELCOME to the Forum!

Depression can be a chemical imbalance. Get to the doctor if you can.

My knees also are bone on bone. Hurts so much to walk. I'm planning on getting my knees fixed as soon as I lose some more weight. If you can get knee replacement surgery, that would help you feel so much better.

You have lost a lot of weight and I congratulate you on your success. Participate with us on this forum and continue your journey to your goal weight. We are all in this together and help each other. Good luck Jorge, :)

Cheyenne

Back