• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to thg forum

sandyg

Hi my name is Sandyg. I just had RNY on Oct 10, 2012 and am doing OK. I would be doing better if the bowel discomfort would pass. I am told it will but can anyone confirm this. I am also experiencing discomfort eating. I guess I haven't yet mastered when to eat and when to stop drinking. The only thing that agree's with me is chicken soup and chilli. Good for protein but not much of a variety. Would welcome any feedback.

Hi SandyG, Welcome. Most folks here have used Gas x, I never even thought about it for the gas pains si I suffered so ask your doctor if it is ok to take I think it is though. The eating and drinking takes time to get in a routien but the important things to remember are, to not drink fluids 1/2 hour before and 45 min after a meal. Portion size of meals takes time I started out with 2-3 oz of protien (ground meat) or a 1/4 cup of beans with a tbls of shreded cheese, I would and still do eat on small plates, 1/4 cup of cottage cheese or yogurt is also good. If you are testing solid foods at this stage and they bother you go back to the softer foods for a day or two then try again and remember chew up your food real good, that can make all the difference with digestion. Your doing great on the weight loss keep up the good work. :cool: Tom

Thank you Tom. I would have to say that you too are doing very well with your weight. Only 10 pounds away from goal!! Fantastic!!! I guess I am trying to rush being normal again but that just isn't going to happen for a while, so I guess I will eat what agrees with me and loose the weight. :D

Sandyg you sound like you are doing well actually!!! I am just starting this journey, surgery coming up on 12-4-12 and doing the protein drink diet starting tomorrow, they allowed that since Tgving was today so start tomorro. 4 Protein drinks a day and low fat meal at dinner with two snacks of fruit.
Where did you have your surgery done? What hospital and what doc and would you recommend them to others? I am going into Boston for mine.

your journey 12-3-12

Hi Sandie,
Good luck. I had my surgery in Wareham at Tobey Hospital. Dr Streeter was my surgeon. The experience was as good as it could possibley have been. I was discharged the next afternoon ( late) I had no complications. I wish you the same. The weight is coming off but I am still having difficulties with bowel movements. However, I am told during my 6 week check up that it will get better. The body had gone threw a major adjustment. It is getting better but seems as though I spend a couple of the hours in the bathroom when I have to go ( not all at once just, about 3-4 visits. ) I don't wish that on you but am also told that almost everyone goes threw that as well. If I can help you in anyway give a shout. I lost 25 pounds prior to surgery but I did it my way or should I say the Atkins way. I started it about 6 months in advance but I was able to cheat when I wanted to as well. Forget that now. :) Keep in touch Sandie and I wish you the best.

Well sounds like all and all you are doing well, have you taken a stool softener?
Thanks and will post here as the process goes along, have the pre op on Monday so I am sure no suprises there, then get the time to show up on Friday afternoon for Monday. Bought sugarless popsicles and yogurt and protein drinks. I wonder if I can subsitutue yogurt for a protein drink? I am to have 4 a day plus fruits for snacks and then dinner and a protein drink around 8pm. Bought a scale to weigh myself and a food scale which I have one but it is a cheap one and want to make sure I am getting the weight of food I need.
Glad to hear you are doing well. Did not even know they do the surgery in Wareham, glad it worked out for you.

The weight is coming off but I am still having difficulties with bowel movements. However, I am told during my 6 week check up that it will get better. The body had gone threw a major adjustment. It is getting better but seems as though I spend a couple of the hours in the bathroom when I have to go ( not all at once just, about 3-4 visits. ) I don't wish that on you but am also told that almost everyone goes threw that as well.

Hi, Sandy,

I'm surprised your fiber supplement isn't helping you with that. Perhaps you need to increase the dose? Or change supplements? Spending those amounts of time in the bathroom is very hard on your body. What does your surgical team/doctor say about it?

"It will get better" doesn't mean anything. What suggestions/recommendations have your team made for you?

Back