• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to this site and to the world of bariatric surgery

donnaf

Just joined and getting familiar with the site. I have just started the process to get the sleeve surgery as doctor felt gastric bypass was too risky for me. Going thru all the preop steps and will see the surgeon for second visit on the 28th of this month. Finding the different forums very useful and helping me.

Welcome! This is a great place to find support, and information. Congratulations on your decision to have WLS! :)

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to sharing my journey. Have been very heavy all my life so I imagine its going to be quite the adjustment when I start losing the weight but looking forward to it.

DonnaF. WELCOME you've found a wonderful site with this room. I too found it about a year ago and then had my surgery 4 months ago, everyone has been great about sharing there journey, receipes and just daily struggles and triumphs too. I have told others about another site that has helped me so I will also tell you. this lady also had the weight loss surgery, went from a size 28 to a 4, The world according to eggface.org or .com anyway she offers so much advice, receipes and products that help you along the way. its a FREE site, I love going there for idea and receipes etc. wishing you continued success and welcome aboard. its worth it all, so glad I went through the process of having it done, it's gets better on a daily basis. Donna(bigtallsis)

Well, good for you. Its a whole new world and its been great so far I had my bypass 3 months ago. And feel super. Welcome
Hugs,
Angie

I gotta tell you this group made my decision to have the surgery a lot easier, reading post from people that went thru and are so happy, helps me a lot.. I cant wait !!

Today I went for an upper GI in prep for the surgery. I was not looking forward to this at all but it turned out to be easier than I imagined it. Isn't that always the case. Tomorrow I have to go talk with a nutrionalist (I don't think spelling is correct). I have been doing the protein drinks as part of losing some weight prior to the surgery. I am finding the one I have to be good and it is also making me realize how tired I have become with solid food. My biggest concern (and I am grateful for everyone sharing about their experience after surgery) is about the after affects (ie vomiting) and how long before I get used to the way of living that the surgery generates.

I now have been to the cardiologist and have to undergo another test, a PET scan. He wants to make sure there is not a high degree of blockage in the arteries. Of course, he has to convince the insurance that this test is needed. Don't get me going about insurance. If he can't, there is another that he can do in the office that is good but isn't as good as the scan. So I am waiting to hear if the scan can get scheduled.

I am so grateful to everyone for being so open about their pre-surgery concerns and also post-surgery experience as it has helped me to realize that this is the best route I can take in the journey to get this weight off. I probably need to take over 100 lbs off and of course I want it to be off yesterday but realize that the surgery is a tool and I have to keep eating healthier.

I finally got the results back from PET scan and the cardiologist said there there is no heart damage and no blockage and that everything looked good for surgery. I have my 2nd consult with the surgeon on Thursday of this coming week so will be anxious to hear what he says.

Back