• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to this!

CNicole

Hello All! I’m very new to this page. I’m currently in the final stretch of my appointments before everything is submitted to insurance which is next week to be exact. At first I was told due to my acid reflux issues I would have to have the gastric bypass surgery. I had my EGD yesterday and the surgeon said everything looks good and I can switch to the sleeve if I like. I’m very torn on this because for the last few months I had my mind set on gastric bypass and now that the sleeve is and option I don’t know which way to turn. Can anyone give any helps or tips. I’m not nervous at all for surgery. I’m nervous that insurance may deny. I’m 5’11 and 288lbs currently. My height hides my weight and I also and I’m fighting the if I lose too much weight I won’t qualify. I do suffer from high blood pressure sometimes and I’m pre diabetic but other than that I have no comorbidities. So trying to maintain weight has also been a challenge. Does anyone have any advice or which way to turn?

I only had slight reflux before surgery, but just a little was enough to convince me to go the RNY route. I didn’t want it to get worse and end up needing more surgery. But that was a personal decision. It can also depend on if you have other health concerns, and how much weight you need to lose.

Just had my RnY surgery 2 days ago. I've had acid reflux occasionally in the past, but I had some more than usual on my 2-day presurgery liquid diet. I'm so glad I chose the RnY bc of possible Gerd, plus I wanted the structure & restrictions that will hold me more accountable. Of course it's a personal decision, but I've read lots of comments on this site about those who wish they had done the RnY bc of acid reflux. Good luck on your journey!

Just had my RnY surgery 2 days ago. I've had acid reflux occasionally in the past, but I had some more than usual on my 2-day presurgery liquid diet. I'm so glad I chose the RnY bc of possible Gerd, plus I wanted the structure & restrictions that will hold me more accountable. Of course it's a personal decision, but I've read lots of comments on this site about those who wish they had done the RnY bc of acid reflux. Good luck on your journey!
Thank you so much for that perspective and best wishes on your recovery and journey. I definitely don’t want to deal with acid reflux anymore. And now since he said it’s a option I’m trying to do research and see what’s best for me.

But when you're reading, remember that the procedure is always being streamlined. 14 years ago, it was major surgery and a 3-day hospital stay. NOW, it's a standard procedure and people can go home the same day.

I often said I've had more painful dental procedures. Your biggest challenge is educating yourself on post-op eating. Take lots of notes and get your pantry stocked. How you eat post-op is crucial.

But when you're reading, remember that the procedure is always being streamlined. 14 years ago, it was major surgery and a 3-day hospital stay. NOW, it's a standard procedure and people can go home the same day.

I often said I've had more painful dental procedures. Your biggest challenge is educating yourself on post-op eating. Take lots of notes and get your pantry stocked. How you eat post-op is crucial.
As soon as I am approved I plan on stocking the pantry! I’m also constantly reading how my program wants me to eat afterwards. The liquid diet won’t bother me it’s the purée stage that scares me cause I’m such a picky eater.

Welcome to the group! I had the sleeve but if I thought that Gerd could be a problem I would prefer RNY so that I wouldn't be faced with another surgery if I wound up with Gerd. Just my opinion but since you asked. :)
Thank you so much! And thank you for your response. I’m so new to all this and I want to hear everyone’s opinions. This will help me next week when I see the physician. I have one more office visit and nutrition class and everything gets submitted to insurance so I have less than a week to decide

First, let me say, MANY people seem to have no issues with the sleeve and I can only speak to my personal experience and knowledge. And my opinion should not matter. That being said, I would never recommend the sleeve. Every person I personally know who has had the sleeve has problems with reflux. My cousin had no reflux prior and now goes to sleep hungry rather than eat closer than 6 hours to bedtime, because she has woken up choking on acid. So now she's had to ADD medication and still has some issues. TO BE FAIR, everyone I know who had the sleeve (4 people) had the same surgeon, so maybe it's him?
I choose the bypass because I already had reflux and figured better safe than sorry. I also have had no issues with dumping or anything like that so I am 100% pro-bypass.

Back