• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to this!

I have acid reflux from medications for respiratory issues. For me it is permanent and I went with RNY. I had dumping once since surgery and it makes me think of the flu. The runny poops is the way my dumping went. Once you get past it you make sure to avoid it a second time. Knowing myself I would have found the work arounds for the sleeve. The RNY is harder to cheat on. Your body makes you pay attention. Good luck on your research and blessings for your decision.

Hello All! I’m very new to this page. I’m currently in the final stretch of my appointments before everything is submitted to insurance which is next week to be exact. At first I was told due to my acid reflux issues I would have to have the gastric bypass surgery. I had my EGD yesterday and the surgeon said everything looks good and I can switch to the sleeve if I like. I’m very torn on this because for the last few months I had my mind set on gastric bypass and now that the sleeve is and option I don’t know which way to turn. Can anyone give any helps or tips. I’m not nervous at all for surgery. I’m nervous that insurance may deny. I’m 5’11 and 288lbs currently. My height hides my weight and I also and I’m fighting the if I lose too much weight I won’t qualify. I do suffer from high blood pressure sometimes and I’m pre diabetic but other than that I have no comorbidities. So trying to maintain weight has also been a challenge. Does anyone have any advice or which way to turn?
C Nicole:
If U have a choice, the Steve Gastrectomy is the better choice. Pro’s. A permanent small banana shaped stomach. Also, reducing more rapidly. Thirdly the stomach usually doesn’t stretch. Lastly, it’s a Permanent Procedure. When I had my R-Y in 1999. It was up to the Surgeon. Not many Dr’s doing the Sleeve Procedure. Now a lot of Gastric Surgeons prefer the Sleeve! It takes less time in the O/R.

It's interesting this is being discussed now, as when I had my appointment with my surgeon the other day to set my date the first day thing he asked me was what procedure did I decide on. I told him that I definitely wanted the RNY and he asked me why. I told him that I have a very minor problem with Gerd, but mostly all of the research I have looked at shows a greater potential to lose the weight and keep it off, also there are a high percentage of sleeve conversion to RNY. I laughed at the look on his face. He said the staff told him I had been doing my research, but he didn't know how much.

Bottomline though, it really is a personal decision. I took a lot of things into consideration. I am 60 years old. If the sleeve doesn't work, I don't want to go through another surgery. Also I have 3 siblings who had successful RNYs.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

First, let me say, MANY people seem to have no issues with the sleeve and I can only speak to my personal experience and knowledge. And my opinion should not matter. That being said, I would never recommend the sleeve. Every person I personally know who has had the sleeve has problems with reflux. My cousin had no reflux prior and now goes to sleep hungry rather than eat closer than 6 hours to bedtime, because she has woken up choking on acid. So now she's had to ADD medication and still has some issues. TO BE FAIR, everyone I know who had the sleeve (4 people) had the same surgeon, so maybe it's him?
I choose the bypass because I already had reflux and figured better safe than sorry. I also have had no issues with dumping or anything like that so I am 100% pro-bypass.
Thank you for letting me know that. I honestly think I’m going to stay on track with the bypass. It’s just such a big decision.

It's interesting this is being discussed now, as when I had my appointment with my surgeon the other day to set my date the first day thing he asked me was what procedure did I decide on. I told him that I definitely wanted the RNY and he asked me why. I told him that I have a very minor problem with Gerd, but mostly all of the research I have looked at shows a greater potential to lose the weight and keep it off, also there are a high percentage of sleeve conversion to RNY. I laughed at the look on his face. He said the staff told him I had been doing my research, but he didn't know how much.

Bottomline though, it really is a personal decision. I took a lot of things into consideration. I am 60 years old. If the sleeve doesn't work, I don't want to go through another surgery. Also I have 3 siblings who had successful RNYs.

I found it interesting too because since April I’ve been told RNY. So it threw me off. I’ve been researching pros and cons since he told me this was an option. But I’m definitely leaning towards RNY cause I want to say bye to acid reflux for good!

C Nicole:
If U have a choice, the Steve Gastrectomy is the better choice. Pro’s. A permanent small banana shaped stomach. Also, reducing more rapidly. Thirdly the stomach usually doesn’t stretch. Lastly, it’s a Permanent Procedure. When I had my R-Y in 1999. It was up to the Surgeon. Not many Dr’s doing the Sleeve Procedure. Now a lot of Gastric Surgeons prefer the Sleeve! It takes less time in the O/R.
So when I did my initial consult he told me I was a perfect candidate for the sleeve but the acid reflux made it a no. But my EGD looked so good he said I could switch and that threw me off because all this time I’ve been thinking it was the RNY. So I have to decided Tuesday which route I’m going because everything goes to insurance Wednesday.

Kathi:
It’s good U do Ur research! Ur information can be used to help you with an informed decision. Keep in mind Ur age and health concerns. This is an individual decision but options like which is a better choice can only be Ur’s! Both the sleeve procedure and RNY produce weight loss! That’s the Goal….Surgery is a tool. Reducing takes real effort and Drive and Determination for Success!

That’s great to know. Thank you so much for responding this whole process has my mind spinning and the only definite I know is that I want this surgery and I’m ready for the life long lifestyle change.
Lifestyle Change is a Key Element for Successful Weight Loss……and to prevent a recurrence of weight gain in your future. I don’t know if someone has mentioned that if Lifestyle Changes are not in place Weight can be regained! This is a Great Procedure with a Good Success Rate!

First, let me say, MANY people seem to have no issues with the sleeve and I can only speak to my personal experience and knowledge. And my opinion should not matter. That being said, I would never recommend the sleeve. Every person I personally know who has had the sleeve has problems with reflux. My cousin had no reflux prior and now goes to sleep hungry rather than eat closer than 6 hours to bedtime, because she has woken up choking on acid. So now she's had to ADD medication and still has some issues. TO BE FAIR, everyone I know who had the sleeve (4 people) had the same surgeon, so maybe it's him?
I choose the bypass because I already had reflux and figured better safe than sorry. I also have had no issues with dumping or anything like that so I am 100% pro-bypass.
Hmm..interesting..

Hmm..interesting..
I had RYGB with a 3-day hospital stay. Its major surgery. Now they do RYGB laparoscopically. They send you home sooner.

Even though many members had the sleeve, I don't trust it. But they do.

When my body healed, it was like nothing had happened at all. I went about my life with no pain or remorse. The weight just melted off.

I had one of the 10 best surgeons in America. And it was covered by insurance all the way. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I do think RYGB is better than VSG, but that's opinion based on posts from this group. RYGB has fewer side effects and better weight loss.

Plus RYGB has been around 30 years longer than VSG. It's been studied longer and more extensively.

Tough choice. and there are two newer procedures that sound promising, but are more invasive.

I had RYGB with a 3-day hospital stay. Its major surgery. Now they do RYGB laparoscopically. They send you home sooner.

Even though many members had the sleeve, I don't trust it. But they do.

When my body healed, it was like nothing had happened at all. I went about my life with no pain or remorse. The weight just melted off.

I had one of the 10 best surgeons in America. And it was covered by insurance all the way. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I do think RYGB is better than VSG, but that's opinion based on posts from this group. RYGB has fewer side effects and better weight loss.

Plus RYGB has been around 30 years longer than VSG. It's been studied longer and more extensively.

Tough choice. and there are two newer procedures that sound promising, but are more invasive.
Hmm something to think about, thanks. I always thought sleeve was the way to go for me but I don't know now. Thanks for the input.

I have acid reflux from medications for respiratory issues. For me it is permanent and I went with RNY. I had dumping once since surgery and it makes me think of the flu. The runny poops is the way my dumping went. Once you get past it you make sure to avoid it a second time. Knowing myself I would have found the work arounds for the sleeve. The RNY is harder to cheat on. Your body makes you pay attention. Good luck on your research and blessings for your decision.
Thank you so much for your input I greatly appreciate it!

C Nicole:
Thank you for your input I’ve been researching so much on this!

Back